Re: [fw-wiz] Out of Band management

From: Bruce B. Platt (bruce_at_ei3.com)
Date: 04/16/05

    To: Devdas Bhagat <devdas@dvb.homelinux.org>
    Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:28:58 -0400

    Devdas Bhagat wrote:

    <snipped...>

    > For networking equipment, a console server.
    > For servers which support serial consoles, dialin modems *and* a spare
    > NIC. If your system isn't booting up, the NIc isn't really useful.
    > IP KVMs are useful for systems which don't support serial consoles.
    >
    > Keep this on a physically separate network if possible.

    I have not done this in many years, but you are right on. The only
    modification I would suggest is to use a terminal server device which
    you can dial into via pots for access to the router consoles as _well_
    as the consoles of machines which support a serial console device.

    It's handy to be able to get to a console prompt or a unix tty and see
    that the network isn't "working" because the border router is not
    passing any bits.

    I think one can still find DECServer 90's (see how long ...) on the used
    market, or equivalent.

    Regards