Re: [fw-wiz] Out of Band management

From: Bruce B. Platt (bruce_at_ei3.com)
Date: 04/16/05

    To: Devdas Bhagat <devdas@dvb.homelinux.org>
    Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:28:58 -0400

    Devdas Bhagat wrote:

    <snipped...>

    > For networking equipment, a console server.
    > For servers which support serial consoles, dialin modems *and* a spare
    > NIC. If your system isn't booting up, the NIc isn't really useful.
    > IP KVMs are useful for systems which don't support serial consoles.
    >
    > Keep this on a physically separate network if possible.

    I have not done this in many years, but you are right on. The only
    modification I would suggest is to use a terminal server device which
    you can dial into via pots for access to the router consoles as _well_
    as the consoles of machines which support a serial console device.

    It's handy to be able to get to a console prompt or a unix tty and see
    that the network isn't "working" because the border router is not
    passing any bits.

    I think one can still find DECServer 90's (see how long ...) on the used
    market, or equivalent.

    Regards

    > Devdas Bhagat

    • Re: System Freezes When MBufClust Usages Rises
      ... When it freezes, the number of Kbytes allocated to network is roughly 160,000. ... Are there any other parameters that would help us to allocate more memory to the kernel networking? ... Remember that if you run out of clusters, you may experience network deadlocks that prevent SSH sessions from operating, so direct console access may be required to effectively monitor the system when in an extreme state of low memory in the network stack. ... My advice would be to use a serial console anyway, if possible, when debugging, as it means you can use a second machine to copy and paste DDB output into a file to e-mail out later. ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: Hello!
      ... of the old "Boeing Tech" tape there are a lot of good things on it that ... and do 'console ' to move console to your ... I have the network up and operating, ... Reflection HP.) ...
      (comp.sys.hp.mpe)
    • Re: netconsole dumbs the system
      ... past kernel messages start pouring over all ... with one more line on the VC than sent to the network. ... setup) and starting netconsole brings down the console for good. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U8
      ... INIT: ... Setting network parameters: ... (no further console output at this point) ... turning on syslog before telinit 3. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: SMS Admin Console Collection Enumeration not Functioning
      ... I have an issue with the SMS Admin Console. ... Provider Version: 2.50.4160.2000 ...
      (microsoft.public.sms.admin)