Re: Biometrics (was Re: [fw-wiz] Username password VS hardware token plus PIN)

From: Adam Shostack (adam_at_homeport.org)
Date: 04/15/05

    To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:41:29 -0400

    On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:21:24PM -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
    | Paul D. Robertson wrote:
    | >I don't think a wrist is that much more trouble than a finger to a
    | >machette
    |
    | I know you're just being funny, but this all misses an important
    | point: against an opponent that is willing to physically attack,
    | threaten, or torture you ALL authentication systems
    | are worthless. Especially if you assume a level of indirection
    | can be added (I.e.: "log me into the system or your child dies.")
    |
    | There's only so good it's worth making these things. My problem
    | with biometrics is that they're not even *that* good without a
    | heck of a lot of extra mechanisms and tweakage. Biometrics
    | are really only good if you, ummm.... sell biometrics.

    Generally, that's true, but as a layer in a well thought out system,
    they may be helpful. (Eg, the guard watches you put your head up to
    the retina scanner before he lets you in to maintain the shiny
    weapons.)

    Such systems can resist attacks and physical violence. They very,
    very rarely are worth the money that they cost.

    Adam

    • RE: EFS and biometrics? Other options?
      ... Subject: EFS and biometrics? ... he is using this for laptops. ... individual like this the authority to change the template, ... >> and skin from my index finger fingertip while working on a computer. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Biometrics
      ... fingerprints, leaving your finger over a sensor. ... With biometrics you always have to find a balance between false ... WideString as your finger representation. ... Regards, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: EFS and biometrics? Other options?
      ... Subject: EFS and biometrics? ... > and skin from my index finger fingertip while working on a computer. ... It's more difficult for a fingerprint authentication system to recognize ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Biometric question
      ... more tolerant modes (you can put your finger on 'close' to the same way ... Manager of Security Solutions ... biometrics, in fact only will be based on fingerprints biometric. ... How secure are fingerprints?, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Biometric question
      ... more tolerant modes (you can put your finger on 'close' to the same way ... biometrics, in fact only will be based on fingerprints biometric. ... How secure are fingerprints?, ... Felix Cuello ...
      (Security-Basics)