Re: Biometrics (was Re: [fw-wiz] Username password VS hardware token plus PIN)

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr_at_ranum.com)
Date: 04/15/05

    To: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul@compuwar.net>, "Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. (Hons)" <mike.tubby@thorcom.co.uk>
    Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:21:24 -0400

    Paul D. Robertson wrote:
    >I don't think a wrist is that much more trouble than a finger to a
    >machette

    I know you're just being funny, but this all misses an important
    point: against an opponent that is willing to physically attack,
    threaten, or torture you ALL authentication systems
    are worthless. Especially if you assume a level of indirection
    can be added (I.e.: "log me into the system or your child dies.")

    There's only so good it's worth making these things. My problem
    with biometrics is that they're not even *that* good without a
    heck of a lot of extra mechanisms and tweakage. Biometrics
    are really only good if you, ummm.... sell biometrics.

    mjr.