Re: [fw-wiz] Biometrics

From: Adam Shostack (adam_at_homeport.org)
Date: 04/14/05

    To: "Foley, Denys" <Denys.Foley@xerox.com>
    Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:09:15 -0400

    Well! In that case, now the guy who cut off my finger is *really*
    pissed off. I feel so much safer given that the technical specs of
    the fingerprint reader will make this attack, like my finger, useless.

    On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 12:15:30PM -0400, Foley, Denys wrote:
    | The newer better-fingerprint readers also make sure that the finger is
    | alive and warm - still attached to its original host. Check the specs
    | !!!!
    |

    | >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4396831.stm
    |
    | >Anyone feel like continuing to use or recommend biometrics?
    |
    | >I would *much* rather be safe.
    |
    | >Devdas Bhagat
    |

    | Denys Foley

    • Re: Completely OT but...
      ... the option of saving your log-in details into the Omnipass vault. ... or, like me, in conjunction with a fingerprint reader. ... Hmm, I'm not so keen on my password etc being saved online, but thanks ... When I first used the Finger reader, I found the same problem, so instead of wiping my finger towards me, I recalibrated it to read the opposite way and this solved the problem. ...
      (uk.legal)
    • Re: Spot the loony competition # 79
      ... I think that we are safer with Putin's finger on the button than a prankster... ... yebbut, they've but Thius article too, the very last sentence should conitune "..Vladimir's got That pencilled in for the 16th." ...
      (uk.rec.sheds)
    • Re: Fingerprint Authentication
      ... authentication and you could really just use public keys instead ... Unless you locally encrypt your private key with information gathered by the fingerprint reader, ... One can scan his finger only once, at first login, or when the system boots. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: HP ProBook 6560b Fingerprint Reader
      ... passiert nichts mit dem Fingerprint Reader. ... Habe ich ab und mit meinem Lenovo, ... der Prompt fürs PW kommt und dann der FInger dennoch akzeptiert wird. ...
      (de.comp.sys.notebooks)