[fw-wiz] IPCop addon problem (Copfilter)

From: Roger E. Rustad, Jr. (scubacuda_at_iname.com)
Date: 04/09/05

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 14:32:22 -0700

    I'm having problems with IPCop addons, particularly Copfilter.

    My friend owns a small cybercafe, and I'm helping him put in a better
    firewall than the Cayman PoS his DSL company gave him. He doesn't much
    about Cisco or *nix, so I suggested that he use IPCop or m0n0wall as an
    easy way of tightening up his network security (particularly because he
    has lots of spare PCs lying around).

    Last night, I gave IPCop a go here at my house. For those unfamiliar
    with IPCop, It's incredibly easy to install and use -- simply download
    and burn the ISO, boot to the cd, answer a few questions about your
    network setup, and voila. From the "green" (e.g. LAN) side, you can open
    up the browswer and hit http://ipAddress:81 and manage everything in
    much the same way you might if you had, say, a Linksys-like firewall.
    If, for whatever reason, it's not network accessible, you can console in
    and type in ./setup to go through the installation menu again. Very cool
    for newbies who might be intimidated by *nix or Cisco's command line.

    I ran into problems as soon as I started goofing around with addons,
    particularly CopFilter. http://members.inode.at/m.madlener/ipcop/

    It was cake to install (used winspc3 to u/l the tar.gz file, untarred,
    then ran ./install.sh). After the installation, I could no longer hit
    http://ipAddress:81 with my browser. I googled and found a forum that
    (supposedly) deals with this bug. Even after doing everything
    (http://tinyurl.com/6e49u), it still doesn't *completely* work. While I
    can hit it with my browser, all the services (e.g. spamd) aren't
    properly starting when I boot.

    My questions to the fw-wizards list:

    A) If anyone has dealt with this, please let me know. If not, that's
    cool -- I'll hit their board. Unfortunately, their documentation is very
    poor.
    B) More importantly, does anyone have an incredibly easy way to filter
    incoming traffic (http/pop/smtp) for virii/trojans/worms? Preferably
    something on the same box and manageable by GUI.

    Roger

    • Re: SmoothWall
      ... IPCop came from the same original GPL stable as Smoothwall ... don't install Smoothwall, ... having any firewall is only part of the solution. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • IPCop or SmoothWall? Which Is/Will Be Active?
      ... I finally have to install a firewall now and I ... I wanted to load SmoothWall ISO instead because ... version left off, IPCop picked it up. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Wie beurteilt Ihr IPCop
      ... jeweiligen Betriebssystem mitgelieferte Firewall, sondern um die ... da Du speziell nach IPcop fragst. ... so das man HTTPS durch ssh tunneln muss will man die Kiste fernwarten. ... e) Das Addons und Sicherheits updates nicht von der FW gepollt ...
      (de.comp.security.firewall)
    • Re: Debian Proxy Server
      ... The IpCop About page mentions Linux Firewall Distribution about 85 ... but not web caching and filtering. ... Filtering is accomplished by easy to install addons that include Dan's ...
      (Debian-User)
    • RE: What firewall for small medical research lab
      ... I'm installing a new firewall at my current workplace. ... At home I decided to go with pfSense because it has much better Wireless ... It is based around IPCop, but has a whole host of extra features... ... Pay someone to set up a PC based firewall running on surplus hardware ...
      (Security-Basics)