Re: [fw-wiz] SSL VPN vs. IPSec VPN

From: Irwin Lazar (ilazar_at_burtongroup.com)
Date: 03/24/05

    To: Joe Mazzotti <jmazzotti@mercyhousing.org>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:44:44 -0500

    Here's the rule of thumb I use:

    If your apps can work over an SSL VPN, use it as your first choice.

    If they can't, or if you need to support things like remote desktop
    management, you'll likely need to use IPSec.

    You can find some great resources at http://www.vpnc.org/

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Lazar, CISSP
    Senior Analyst, Burton Group
    > From: Joe Mazzotti <jmazzotti@mercyhousing.org>
    > Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:07:20 -0700
    > To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    > Subject: [fw-wiz] SSL VPN vs. IPSec VPN
    >
    > Greetings all,
    >
    >      I'd like to get some opinions on the pro's and con's of using an
    > SSL VPN vs. using IPSec VPN for remote access to our corporate office.
    > The idea is to eliminate 3rd party software and use a web based VPN
    > solution to lower support cost.  Our options (aside from keeping our
    > current IPSec software and VPN concentrator) are to use the web based
    > VPN on the concentrator (Cisco VPN3000 series) or use SSL VPN.
    >
    > Does anyone have any links to decent articles comparing IPSec to SSL
    > based VPN security?  What are your opinions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JDM

    • Re: Juniper Secure Access SSL VPN access from FreeBSD?
      ... use Juniper Secure Access SSL VPN + rdesktop. ... As best I understand it, it's a standard IPSEC VPN, but getting past the ... support Juniper secure gateways and runs on FreeBSD. ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: Access to network drives for home and roaming users
      ... Pretty well everyone sells SSL VPN these days, ... Do you want the data in a DMZ, or do you want them to come straight ... have a windows 2003 R2 network with an internal and perimeter network, ...
    • Re: stop installation
      ... Do you know if your VPN is an SSL VPN or IPsec VPN? ... install an SSL VPN, ...
    • Re: [fw-wiz] SSL VPN vs. IPSec VPN
      ... > SSL VPN vs. using IPSec VPN for remote access to our corporate office. ... What are your opinions? ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: vpn xp and vista
      ... I am out of scope for getting technical support for the ssl vpn, ... his home Vista box remotely was told, ...