Re: [fw-wiz] SSL VPN vs. IPSec VPN

From: Joe Matusiewicz (joem_at_nist.gov)
Date: 03/24/05

    To: "Joe Mazzotti" <jmazzotti@mercyhousing.org>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:26:42 -0500

    At 06:07 PM 3/14/2005, Joe Mazzotti wrote:
    >Greetings all,
    >
    >Does anyone have any links to decent articles comparing IPSec to SSL
    >based VPN security? What are your opinions?

    This is a place to start:

    http://www.checkpoint.com/products/downloads/ipsec_whitepaper.pdf

    Typing "SSL VPN vs. IPSec VPN" in google yields about a thousand hits:

    -- Joe

    • Re: Prividing Intranet Website Access To External Users
      ... These linux-based appliances provide the SSL VPN functionality (incl. ... > I would probably integrate the ldap/dc as a security server on the ... > Earn your MS in Information Security ONLINE ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: What is the most secure way to let users access work files from home
      ... >> Is VPN the way to go or does that create the hassle of not knowing ... authenticated and encrypted with TLS or SSL. ... It has the benefit of not giving network access to the ... you could set up a web document server and let ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: Deploying SSL-based VPNs
      ... correct as you'll need to install an active-x or java client of some ... VPN based SSL is merely a Reverse proxy with the capability to tunnel ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: How risky is it to have a web server on the internal LAN?
      ... VPN, PPTP VPN, L2TP VPN, remote admin over HTTPS, an SSL VPN. ... can run a dictionary attack against it. ... Wifi, especially PUBLIC wifi is so glaringly terrifyingly insecure that I am surprised anyone uses it. ...
      (uk.telecom.broadband)
    • Re: Having both SSL -AND- VPN...
      ... On the one hand, SSL is quite secure, as are most popular VPN ... said that a network is too secure. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)