[fw-wiz] SSL VPN vs. IPSec VPN

From: Joe Mazzotti (jmazzotti_at_mercyhousing.org)
Date: 03/15/05

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:07:20 -0700

    Greetings all,

         I'd like to get some opinions on the pro's and con's of using an
    SSL VPN vs. using IPSec VPN for remote access to our corporate office.
    The idea is to eliminate 3rd party software and use a web based VPN
    solution to lower support cost. Our options (aside from keeping our
    current IPSec software and VPN concentrator) are to use the web based
    VPN on the concentrator (Cisco VPN3000 series) or use SSL VPN.

    Does anyone have any links to decent articles comparing IPSec to SSL
    based VPN security? What are your opinions?

    Thanks,

    JDM

    • Re: Juniper Secure Access SSL VPN access from FreeBSD?
      ... use Juniper Secure Access SSL VPN + rdesktop. ... As best I understand it, it's a standard IPSEC VPN, but getting past the ... support Juniper secure gateways and runs on FreeBSD. ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: Secure VPN access
      ... Is there any document or a guidance one about configuring IPSec ... available in Microsoft SBS server side also. ... do you mean you want to create VPN between SBS and a ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: VPN From W2K/Pro to W2K Server Doesn;t Work Through Firewall
      ... My belief is that your NAT ... My understanding is that IPSec AH protocol does not work with NAT devices ... IPSec operates in either one of two modes - transport mode or tunnel mode. ... provide a VPN remote access solution. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: VPN From W2K/Pro to W2K Server Doesn;t Work Through Firewall
      ... and VPN client. ... >performing the gateway, routing and NATting. ... >> that do not have IPsec passthrough because the IP ... >> while tunnel mode protects the IP layer as well. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: Linux v Dedicated NAT routers - secure remote differences
      ... I think I have got the core of the issue, I assume you are using an IPsec ... VPN, so here is a quote form a Cisco paper on VPNs: ... NAT After IPSec ... then your Linux may not forward GRE for some reason. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)