Re: [fw-wiz] MJR on Linux/OSS

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin_at_immunix.com)
Date: 03/13/05

    To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:43:47 -0800

    Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

    >Aside from ego-reasons, who needs 60 different versions
    >of UNIX? Scott McNealy was right when he suggested, "all
    >the wood behind one arrow" - I suspect that most UNIX
    >users would be thrilled to death if there was just one darned
    >UNIX again. I wouldn't care which. I can adapt O/S knowledge
    >in a couple weeks. I just don't want to do it every week. :)

    Uhm ... two, please. I have had enough experience with OS monopolization
    from Redmond, thanks.

    Fortunately, going down to one distro is unlikely to ever happen to the
    FOSS UNIXes. As soon as someone got a monopoly lock on Linux, they would
    start acting arrogant, people would start to hate them, and someone
    would feel motivated to fork. Some say this has already happened :)

    I think there is a nice dynamic stabilization effect here. Business
    pressures tend to cause convergence; business only supports a very small
    number of distros, and wants that number to get smaller. But when that
    number gets too small, fragmentation happens and the number gets larger
    again.

    If you go look for Linux distros, there are at least a hundred. But if
    you go look at what enterprises are using, you see a *much* smaller
    number. In my travels, I have encountered Red Hat, SuSE, Debian (once),
    and Slackware (once). Business is effectively defragmenting the Linux
    market quite nicely, thanks.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com

    • Re: GSoC: BSD text tools
      ... If you want to play, play with Linux, which has no tradition of ... BSD by contrast is real Unix, ... in Unix business a few decades you know what real Unix is. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: Future direction for Linux
      ... > Distros: Mandrake and Slackware ... The same would be true for a perfectly preinstalled Linux ... all the commands will work/behave on all *nix more or less ... that's what unix interoperability is about. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: HP loses another large customer
      ... was architected to easily configure and support multiple applications on ... As regards Linux, what part of multi-tasking do you not understand? ... on Unix for decades. ... Unix it was frequently done with the entire business on one machine. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Unix Suggestions
      ... >I am setting up a Unix box for educational purposes. ... I find it harder to use than most linux distros or freebsd. ...
      (comp.unix.questions)
    • Re: sick of Linux bias
      ... Linux falls into my business plans wonderfully. ... >> The other type of user in my market is the one that has already installed a ... > from other Unix there is very little extra needed. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)