RE: [fw-wiz] MJR on Linux/OSS

From: Bruce Smith (bruce_the_loon_at_tiscali.co.za)
Date: 03/12/05

    To: "'Marcus J. Ranum'" <mjr@ranum.com>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:51:14 +0200

    And a holy war begins. Has the fatwah been declared yet?

    Marcus is both right and very, very wrong. He's right that Unix/Linux is
    fragmented and that code on one Unix system doesn't run on another and goes
    on to name Sun, Linux and BSD. From what I've seen of commercial unixs,
    Solaris, SunOS and HP-UX are my experience areas and the Linuxes, that was a
    problem even before Linux hove on the scene. FreeBSD which predated Linux as
    a usable system had its ports collection to match code bases to its
    compilers and libraries.

    Where he's badly wrong is the reason that Linux as-is is not going to be a
    main-stream server OS until it can be fixed. It's not the UI or the subtle
    differences between flavors. Where it goes wrong is that lack of easy
    management for critical components that make managing it easy. Ever try to
    set disk quota's on Linux? Windows = 2 areas on a management page. Linux
    means rebuilding kernels, configging weird parameters and then finding the
    whole thing doesn't really work properly. There's plenty of other little
    areas where it falls apart as well. Printer configuration, e-mail server
    management and so on.

    Come on Linux, catch a wakeup.

    Bruce Smith
    Linux Engineer/Windows Desktop User

    • Re: [OT] SCO tells IBM no more AIX ... IBM better buy VMS!
      ... So the net effect is that this port works only on an handful ... > you prefer the new name) such as YellowDog Linux, ... > anything but VMS on a VAX or Alpha because in my honest opinion, ... > management team at HP. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Linux Replacing Windows on the Desktop, I Think Not! (was Re: Same concerns as a real American)
      ... > Linux machine - I deleted the NT partition for free space I needed. ... Management evaluates technology based on a vendor's bottom line. ... I have witnessed the rejection of Unix by ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: [SLE] Microsoft sings a new tune on Linux
      ... >>I think why linux is growing so slowly in companies are ... Whoever in management said that, I'd document it and send it ALL THE WAY TO ... Yeah, by now ya'll know I'm not fond of "suits" who can't get in the trenches ... buddy buddy support of upper management. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: OT: Massachusetts Verdict: MS Office Formats Out
      ... that management bought the MSFT ... > scenario, where all the windows machines could crash, but we would still ... > bought it or just gave in, but my Linux machine survived that gauntlet. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: You guys should give linux a try
      ... Problem is, last time I looked at some of the Linux offerings in the photography department, there was a serious lack of colour management. ... For the minority who really need color management, ... Both support Adobe Photoshop. ...
      (rec.photo.digital)