Re: [fw-wiz] MJR on Linux/OSS

From: R. DuFresne (dufresne_at_sysinfo.com)
Date: 03/10/05

    To: Devdas Bhagat <devdas@dvb.homelinux.org>
    Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:10:55 -0500 (EST)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

    > On 09/03/05 22:19 -0500, R. DuFresne wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
    >>

    >>> Oh yes, you can run any distro with no big real difference between
    >>> them. The major lines: Debian, Redhat, Gentoo. The rest are clones, or
    >>> similar enough to transition easily between.
    >>>

    >> I hate getting religious and all, yet your linux distribution history is
    >> limited almost to a tunneled point of view <smile>. The dist history
    >> plays out like this
    >
    > I was not referring to history. I was referring to the mainstream Linux
    > package management styles (RPM/APT/emerge). Most distros use a variant
    > of one of these three. If you are familiar with one of the RPM based
    > distros, finding your way in the others is easy. It gets harder when you
    > have to deal with apt or emerge, or .tgz.
    >
    > I will admit to missing slackware out there though.

    tgz. which slackware uses is extremely user friendly these days, in fact,
    to my taste more so then redhat's rpm system. At least on initial
    install, as it let's me finely tune the setup to a degree that is taxing
    to say the least on a redhat system these days. Also with upgrades to the
    many packages, at least again to my taste, YMMV.

    Redhat < other dists might also > has problems with kernel and iuptables
    tuners, those that like to rebuild their own and make it play with just
    the toys and trinkets they need rather then the 'stock' system offered
    under their dists.

    But, having started with sls, and moved to slackware long ago, though
    playing with other dists now and then as needed, I've found that most tend
    to be much more user friendly then was the case 5 or 10 years ago, even
    updated Avolio on something he'd posted about a trial with a linux dist
    variant a year or two back when he was testing the user friendlyness of
    getting the OS up and running for the faint at technical home crowd...

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne
    - --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
             admin & senior security consultant: sysinfo.com
                             http://sysinfo.com

    ...Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won't adhere to rules.
    The most any of us can do is sign on as it's accomplice. Instead
    of vowing to honor and obey, maybe we should swear to aid and abet.
    That would mean that security is out of the question. The words
    "make" and "stay" become inappropriate. My love for you has no
    strings attached. I love you for free...
                             -Tom Robins <Still Life With Woodpecker>

    • Re: dvd ripping tools
      ... Such file played great in Xine on my Linux box. ... > then I copied it over to a Windows box for testing, ... Linux plays it out of the box, ... The player plugin is free. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Ranter or evangelist?
      ... Rhythmbox does pretty much the same as Amarok, it plays CDs and it uses ... larger than XMMS, it should be downloaded after installation. ... All Linux users know ...
      (Fedora)
    • WMP only plays first stream in WSX on WMS
      ... This seems to be working on most configurations on windows, on linux it only plays the first element then stops, it would be nice to know why it doesn't play on linux but it's not the real problem. ... I could only find this article relevant to this error http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q256277/ but it doesn't provide a solution, I dont have load balancing, the player is embedded in a web page, and the client is behind a firewall but what needs to be done to the firewall? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.server)
    • Re: Music Application for Linux
      ... > plays CD all in the same application) for Linux. ... > Portable Player. ... > Are there any applications out there for Linux like this? ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)