[fw-wiz] MJR on Linux/OSS

From: Devdas Bhagat (devdas_at_dvb.homelinux.org)
Date: 03/07/05

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:47:06 +0530

    http://www.ranum.com/editorials/divide-conquer/

    is good.

    I thought we went through this during the discussion on the personal
    firewall day (firewall-wizards, Sep 30 2003 by Paul D. Robertson)?

    Which consistent interface would suit everyone? As opposed to users
    saying "I know this interface, and I don't want to learn anything new",
    which interface would be acceptable?

    KDE? GNOME? WindowMaker? Windows? MacOS? The command line?

    Oh yes, you can run any distro with no big real difference between
    them. The major lines: Debian, Redhat, Gentoo. The rest are clones, or
    similar enough to transition easily between.

    The trouble with a single dominant monoculture is that it does increase
    the damage caused by a single hole. See blaster, and the long thread
    which was spawned by *that* on this list.

    I guess this is one of those things on which I disagree with Marcus.
    Hopefully, this leads to another good discussion on what would work
    best for what requirements (as opposed to the /. threads).

    Oh, and Marcus: DLL hell ;)

    Devdas Bhagat