Re: [fw-wiz] Locking down public wireless access

From: David Lang (david.lang_at_digitalinsight.com)
Date: 02/24/05

    To: "Dale W. Carder" <dwcarder@doit.wisc.edu>
    Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:21:08 -0800 (PST)

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Dale W. Carder wrote:

    > - Roll out a "captive portal" style network admission box. The captive
    > portal also strongly encourages the use of VPN (and allows them to get the
    > client before allowed through) when on the wireless network, but acts as a
    > fallback mechanism for those without: the vpn client, clue, admin on their
    > machines, or who are otherwise guests.
    >
    > There's several free captive portal thingys out there like NoCatAuth,
    > PacketFence, and then the vendors like Perfigo (now vendor C), BlueSocket,
    > and BSi. We found that they all had limitations one way or another, so
    > choose your poison carefully!

    Dale, any chance of getting you to list the limitations that you ran into
    to save the rest of us some research time? :-)

    David Lang

      -- C.A.R. Hoare

    • [NEWS] Cisco VPN 5000 Client Multiple Vulnerabilities
      ... Multiple vulnerabilities exist in the Cisco Virtual Private Network (VPN) ... 5000 Client software. ... These vulnerabilities are documented as Cisco bug ID ... CSCdx17109 - MAC OS VPN 5000 Client password vulnerability ...
      (Securiteam)
    • Re: VPN clients unable to connect to other resources.
      ... gateway matches the IP of the remote client, and DNS and WINS point to the ... remote (although it takes close to a minute to connect, ... This is just regular Windows VPN, ... VPN server, remote routing and access running on the SBS 2003 server ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: Slow VPN logon and Spuratic folder visibility
      ... I understand that the remote VPN client ... network configuration. ... the VPN client can access SBS fine? ... Slow VPN logon and Spuratic folder visibility ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: VPN timeouts
      ... I do not use ISA & was wondering if there is a configurable option on the ... You remote clients VPN connection will timeout while trying to connect SBS ... between remote client and SBS server which caused by lack of network ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Win2k VPN Client doees work. Winxp Client does?
      ... I have put both the client and the server on the same network as the ... I can not logon to your server and troubleshoot the issue. ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... | Subject: Re: Win2k VPN Client doees work. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)