RE: [fw-wiz] Username password VS hardware token plus PIN

MHawkins_at_TULLIB.COM
Date: 02/22/05

    To: frank@knobbe.us
    Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:20:38 -0500

    Here's my problem:

    Our user community is brokers. That doesn't mean that much to me but it
    means a lot to executive management who like to coddle these people. If I
    had my way, I would force brokers to act the same way that every other
    employee in every other company I ever worked for behaved. That is, strong
    passwords, learn the technology and deal !

    However, management sees it differently. Yes yes, I can all hear you
    already. I am not communicating effectively with management to get things
    done right, blah blah blah. The reality is, brokers make a lot of money and
    I am a cost center.

    So, every single deployment simply has to be a simple and seamless to the
    user as possible. I personally hate single sign on. I think it represents
    security risk. But I also don't like non integrated security solutions.

    Now, we use Active directory group policy to enforce access controls. It
    works great in our inside environment. And our VPN clients also authenticate
    via active directory. We have various ldap groups in FW-1 mapped to
    different groups in Active directory. So when a user logs into the vpn they
    get access to what our group policy dictates. This works extremely well by
    pushing management of applications back to the desktop group. The firewalls
    are preconfigured for the required applications/user mapping. Then it's up
    to desktop to manage the group communities.

    But now we have the problem of putting tokens into the mix which I would
    like to do. But the current solutions would totally break our group policy.
    Oh yeah, I can hear someone already telling me that I can deploy yet another
    couple of boxes in our environment that will support tokens along with group
    policy (well maybe not, I'd like to hear from someone who thinks they have a
    solution that would integrate tokens/pins with active directory group
    policy). But I hate to proliferate boxes for every fandangled solution that
    comes along.

    I just want to be able to have the user login using active directory
    credentials and also provide a token. That would be the perfect scenario.

    When users are at their desktop at the office they would do what they always
    do - provide username/password. But when they wish to get access to apps via
    the VPN they would provide their username/password and a hardware token.

    Asking a broker to carry around a token is ok. But asking them to run this
    and that and do this and do that is too much and it simply won't happen.

    Mike Hawkins