Re: [fw-wiz] Username password VS hardware token plus PIN

From: Kevin (kkadow_at_gmail.com)
Date: 02/22/05

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:24:02 -0600

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:15:40 -0500, Mark Gumennik <mgumennik@mitre.org> wrote:
    > Mike,
    > I think the best you can get is SecureID/ACE (used to be AXENT, now RSA?)
    > (Also quite expensive :-)

    SecurID is unrelated to AXENT's product, totally different set of patents. For
    some info on SecurID, please visit my totally unofficial SecurID User's forum:

    I converted from the old X9.9/Axent challenge-response tokens after the
    algorithm was shown to have major cryptographic weaknesses and
    withdrawn by ANSI. The old school Axent tokens are no longer viable
    for strong authentication; the newer response-only tokens from
    Cryptocard and Secure Computing do not have the X9.9 flaws in their
    standard algorithm, but can be programmed to use the flawed mode.

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:03:47 -0500, MHawkins@tullib.com
    <MHawkins@tullib.com> wrote:
    > The RSA key you use, can you force regular PIN changes al la
    > password policy style?

    RSA doesn't offer this as a feature, there are add-ons which can provide
    a password-expiration-style PIN change. Actually, the standard "new pin"
    mode in the ACE/Server is a security risk, as anybody possessing a token
    in this mode can set the PIN just using the tokencode -- one factor auth.

    Another example would be where the user authenticates to a web site
    via SSL. If I compromise the machine they are using with a keystroke
    logger or MITM the session or copy the packets and brute force the
    session key, even the longest password won't help.

    > On the password brute forcing side of things. Surely locking the account on
    > X failed attempts is good enough to stop brute forcing - right?

    What about where the CHAP or IKE encrypted password is intercepted
    and the hash is being brute-forced offline? With a token, all this will net
    the attacker is the PIN and a worthless timed-out tokencode.

    > If the security officer (yuk) gets an alert for locked accounts, that would
    > help on forensics too. Right?

    Actually, RSA's server will lock out token accounts when it sees certain
    types of brute force attempts, but *DOES* *NOT* send alerts. I had to
    manually hack together my own alerting mechanism.

    > There are other advanatges for a very few people, like duress codes etc.
    > Not all that relevant.

    Another major advantage of tokens, is they deter account sharing and
    prevent setting up clients (RAS, VPN, etc) with "saved" passwords.

    Many organizations have policies that say users cannot share accounts,
    and that you shouldn't share your password with anybody. Then you go
    to audit a site or respond to an incident and find out that everybody was
    using the team lead's password because his account was the only one
    with full privileges, and now your audit trail is worthless...

    Kevin Kadow

    • Re: Time to ask again: Is there anything BETTER than eBay?
      ... Just a footnote on the two-factor authentication tokens mentioned ... Rob said that he already has two RSA SecurID tokens that he uses at ... validate the token-code displayed on a particular SecurID at any given ...
      (uk.people.consumers.ebay)
    • Re: RSA SecurID authentication details
      ... If you are a current or potential RSA customer, ... The underlying math of the modern AES-based SecurID is largely ... these token-codes roll over every 60 ... SecurIDs, but over the past 20 months, millions of tokens in current ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: RSA SecureID on Solaris
      ... And on your ACE server, a computer hooked up to a network. ... Also consider the "soft tokens." ... RSA doesn't release ... > securid + pin just to make it more secure. ...
      (Focus-SUN)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] Username password VS hardware token plus PIN
      ... The RSA key you use, can you force regular PIN changes al la password policy ... > most USB tokens is almost guaranteed to be written down by dumb users ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: EMC/RSA SecurID products hacked
      ... RSA should not have kept the seeds after the delivery of the tokens to the clients - there is no need to do so. ... That RSA probably does not have such a great network and system security would not be such a surprise, we have seen this before with Cisco, Microsoft and other players. ... Subject: EMC/RSA SecurID products hacked ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)