Re: [fw-wiz] VPNmadness gets more support;

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr_at_ranum.com)
Date: 02/14/05

    To: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu>, Frederick M Avolio <fred@avolio.com>
    Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:47:57 -0500

    Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
    >Again, I'm advocating a systems solution -- you have to take into
    >account budget and usage patterns as well as technology. Ignoring
    >such matters is a good way to fail.

    Awwww, but Steve, there HAS to be an easier way. I mean, how
    hard CAN it BE? I just want to buy something and click a few
    buttons and have it be secure. Is that TOO MUCH to ASK?
    You computer security greybeards always want to make everything
    so complicated!!

    mjr.

    • Re: Books / Articles on Embedded SW Architecture
      ... on SW architecture themes related to Embedded platforms. ... Steve interesting but I think we should accept that with the tools/languages we use 'bug-free' isn't going to happen, ... If you or someone in your team does happen to 'fail' then do you have the right tools/procedures for fixing that error? ... printing debug lines to stdout etc all have their usefulness and should be designed in from the ground up. ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: Poor Noah and tree ring dating
      ... I am simply ignoring your post. ... Your series is failing to diverge. ... All finite series fail to diverge. ... Infinitely longer, apparently. ...
      (talk.origins)
    • Re: Old Lux Amp
      ... I have been told that these components do not fail - that is they never ever fail. ... They were replaced about 8-10 years ago when the amp was sounding quite sorry. ... Steve W ... I have to agree with Mark Zacharias, I've worked on many Hafler amps that use these same MOSFETS, and I've almost never had to replace them, it is almost always an input stage or feedback problem on the Haflers, when it is not a bad power switch or filter cap. ...
      (rec.audio.misc)
    • Re: Overriden method doesnt throw Exception, super may.
      ... I finally realized what I was missing about the problem. ... > haven't been ignoring you, I've actually been trying to understand the ... continue without any notification or error reporting, ... If you fail obviously, then you are to some extent ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Re: OT:Does this kind of hypocrisy bother you?
      ... the comments in the post you responded to, you would not snip the way you ... Steve: grow a backbone and just try to show the list of the ... non-educational purposes that the Harvard endowment is designed to support. ... You always fail. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)