Re: [fw-wiz] Application-level Attacks

From: Marcus J. Ranum (
Date: 01/29/05

    To: "M. Dodge Mumford" <>, "Paul D. Robertson" <>
    Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:59:15 -0500

    M. Dodge Mumford wrote:
    >Marcus once mentioned out that that he got a tun interface running over
    >SMTP. So that could be thought of as nfsd/mountd over sendmail (a sure sign
    >of the apocolypse in many cultures).
    >Anything which does I/O can be though of as using a protocol.

    True! So then anything that is written in software is an application!
    And, in fact, since hardware is written in software nowadays, it's
    an application, too! So - EVERYTHING is an application. All attacks
    are application layer attacks!

    So that means application level security was invented by Jon Von Neumann
    a long time before the marketing weasels had even heard of computers. :)

    I'm gonna go back to staring at my navel, now. Recursion does that
    to me...

    firewall-wizards mailing list