Re: [fw-wiz] Application-level Attacks

From: R. DuFresne (dufresne_at_sysinfo.com)
Date: 01/28/05

    To: Crispin Cowan <crispin@immunix.com>
    Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:18:34 -0500 (EST)

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > Shimon Silberschlag wrote:
    >
    > > Today, when attacks are shifting towards using the already open ports
    > > on the firewall, at the application level,
    >
    > It is often said that contemporary attacks are migrating to
    > application-level attacks. Can someone point me to data backing this claim?

    Isn't it just another example of marketing FUD/hype? At least the claim
    that this is something 'new'.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

    • Re: Hacking to Xp box
      ... I think there was a misunderstanding in the firewall point: ... you need to find some vulnerability that could be exploited to run ... > restricts most of the attacks that use anonymous connections. ... > Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Hacking to Xp box
      ... I think there was a misunderstanding in the firewall point: ... you need to find some vulnerability that could be exploited to run ... > restricts most of the attacks that use anonymous connections. ... > Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: Hacking to Xp box
      ... I think there was a misunderstanding in the firewall point: ... Regarding ICMP backdoors, this technique was first use by some skilled guy ... you need to find some vulnerability that could be exploited to run ... > restricts most of the attacks that use anonymous connections. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Hacking to Xp box
      ... I think there was a misunderstanding in the firewall point: ... you need to find some vulnerability that could be ... > restricts most of the attacks that use anonymous connections. ... > Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Can I protect myself against network attacks?
      ... I consider the SP2 PFW "half a firewall", and many I've read say it ... or listening in, and no virus or trojans from a system scan via KAV. ... After all, the attacks did ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)