Re: [fw-wiz] Re: External Load Balancing

From: Antonio Varni (antonio.varni_at_gmail.com)
Date: 01/12/05

    To: Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
    Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:09:21 -0800

    On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:17:38 -0800 (PST), Roger Marquis
    <marquis@roble.com> wrote:
    > > Sweet Jeebus!- don't go with F5! Their performance numbers are nowhere =
    > > near what they claim to be (in my experience). Just waaaay too many =
    > > exceptions to the rule.
    >
    > Big/ip is really a different animal, designed for DNS-based load
    > balancing across physically remote networks.

    Ummm, I think you're referring to their 3DNS product.
    I hear that the smart folks over at UltraDNS also provide an automated
    DNS based failover solution as well. About 3 years ago I set up a
    active/active LVS based load balancing solution for a company. I hear
    that it's been up for 3 years handling tons of traffic with no
    problems. Throw in a little scripting for dynamic weighting -- and
    you've got a pretty flexible load balancer.

    > If you don't mind delegating DNS, and need to balance across colos,
    > F5 is most popular tool for the job. If you're balancing within a
    > single colo or comm closet, however, get a Foundry.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Marquis
    > Roble Systems Consulting
    > http://www.roble.com/

    • RE: FreeBSD router two DSL connections
      ... > "...Performs Outbound load balancing by ... > Note that they say by SESSION not by PACKET. ... "round robin" IS packet balancing. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: v2.6.21.4-rt11
      ... It's enough to check whether modprobe rcutorture still produces ... that weird balancing problem. ... PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ P COMMAND ... then we won't have cross-node load balancing. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: [RFT][patch] Scheduling for HTT and not only
      ... things that really exist in this world -- SMT and CPU load. ... dropped most of cache related things from the patch and made the rest ... I haven't got good idea yet about balancing priorities, ... It is quite likely that all CPUs will be always busy and so load balancing is not really important in this test, What looks good is that more complicated new code is not slower then old one. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: [RFT][patch] Scheduling for HTT and not only
      ... things that really exist in this world -- SMT and CPU load. ... dropped most of cache related things from the patch and made the rest ... I haven't got good idea yet about balancing priorities, ... It is quite likely that all CPUs will be always busy and so load balancing is not really important in this test, What looks good is that more complicated new code is not slower then old one. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Backupverbindung ISA 2004
      ... Habe auf der CeBIT zwei weitere Router für den SoHo Bereich entdeckt, ... technische PM für das Produkt konnte mit Routing auf Protokollebene ... Inbound & Outbound load balancing by bytes, packets, or sessions ...
      (microsoft.public.de.german.isaserver)