Re: [fw-wiz] External Load Balancing

From: Mark Teicher (mht3_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 01/11/05

    To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:26:05 -0700

    A majority of vendors who build appliances build it for one reason. They
    do not have to hire a bunch of highly skilled technical people for customer
    support. Provide a nice color glossy diagram with lots of circle and
    arrows, and the customer(s) are enjoying their appliance purchase, not
    unlike the early days of firewalls, where most companies stated: "Oh yeah
    our stuff works on that variant of Unix or Windows" But in reality, one
    needed a Phd to configure the underlying O/S just the right way before the
    firewall application could be installed, all this with technical support on
    the phone or on site.

    /mht

    At 07:40 PM 1/9/2005, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
    >Kevin wrote:
    > >One advantage of the Radware products is that they are true
    > >appliances
    >
    >Appliance, schmaiance!
    >
    >What's in an appliance? Software.
    >What's in a Windows box? Software.
    >What's in a Linux box? Software.
    >What's in a Cisco box? Software.
    >
    >"Appliance" is just a frozen configuration of a software/hardware
    >combination. Sometimes it's a good configuration of good
    >software. Sometimes it's not. I saw one "appliance" that had a
    >back-door telnetd on a "hidden" (who'd ever think to look for telnetd
    >on port 1823?!!) port. Geniuses build appliances. Idiots build
    >appliances. Your mileage may vary.
    >
    >But if you just assume "appliance == goodness" then you've
    >been drinking too much marketing kool-ade.
    >
    >mjr.

    • Re: Port 1434
      ... > There is something out there scanning port ... and it's used by SQL Enterprise Manager and other management tools. ... Bzzzt, wrong, my appliances, even a NAT box, will let me know every time ... exposing a Windows machine (even your firewall machine) to the Internet ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Home Warranty Coverage (WAS: Re: OT Refridgerater Woes)
      ... It's not as if I've never bought appliances before. ... When I rented a house back in the 1980's I had to supply my own refrigerator and washer and dryer. ... a house that is old enough to be paid for is anything but free to live in. ... They're tall casement windows and are not cheap to replace. ...
      (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
    • Re: OT: Toaster Ovens, a choice has been made
      ... Applies to electronics, appliances, you name it. ... the years that the more functions you have available the more trouble ... more complex something is the more often it will fail. ... I had an MG Midget with windows held on by a couple of screws. ...
      (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
    • Re: Open Document amidst opposition
      ... computers are not appliances and they are unlikely to get to that state anytime soon. ... How you deal with that fact is up to you, I prefer to educate myself so I have a fighting chance of configuring my computers so they do what I need them to do, rather than bemoaning the immaturity of what's available. ... I use Windows, Linux, and Solaris machines. ...
      (rec.motorcycles)
    • VISTA
      ... In the particular case of windows and the concept of information, it should be better to take into account vista rapidly. ... ESECO SYSTEMS ... Web3.0 and Web4.0 appliances for security and risk protection ...
      (microsoft.public.word.pagelayout)