Re: [fw-wiz] External Load Balancing

From: Kevin (kkadow_at_gmail.com)
Date: 01/08/05

    To: Leonardo Valcamonici <l.valcamonici@caspur.it>
    Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:31:05 -0600

    In the end choosing a load balancer product comes down to
    Price/Performance/Protocols.

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:51:19 +0100, Leonardo Valcamonici
    <l.valcamonici@caspur.it> wrote:
    > we have a brand new F5 BigIP 3400 and it works like a charm. We'd tested
    > against a Radware WSD AS2 before choosing F5. We liked very much overall
    > performance and how to administer it: it's a linux based machine you can
    > configure both via a web gui and ssh. Customer support is also great.

    I've worked on Cisco (CSS and SLB), F5 (BigIP), and Radware (WSD and
    Fireproof) products, and decided against deploying the F5 in part
    because "it's a linux(?) based machine you can configure both via a
    web gui and ssh". (Isn't Big-IP still customized BSDi?)

    One advantage of the Radware products is that they are true
    appliances, and you can tightly lock down remote management protocols.
     If you want to use a GUI, it is available, if you want to make
    changes via a serial console port, that is also an option.

    Radware has been very good about providing eval hardware and both eval
    and post-purchase support. I've had mixed results with F5 support,
    and usually the answer I get from Cisco is "Oh, our product doesn't do
    that. Maybe in a future version".

    Kevin "My only compensation from Radware is the free pen and polo
    shirt I received in 2002" Kadow