Re: [fw-wiz] Re: How to Save The World (was: Antivirus vendor conspiracy theories)

From: Adam Shostack (adam_at_homeport.org)
Date: 12/16/04

    To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:54:19 -0500

    On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:10:05AM -0500, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
    | Devdas Bhagat wrote:
    | >Business requirements do not usually change so fast to as
    | >to warrant continuous changes in code.
    |
    | The only businesses that _require_ a constant churn of the codebase
    | are the businesses that sell the software. :) The whole business
    | model of the software industry is backwards; it is being driven by
    | the wrong parties. It's due for a correction but I haven't (yet) seen the
    | break-out business concept that can trigger it.

    Salesforce.com? Linux?

    Both represent different answers to this trouble. Salesforce.com by
    looking at 'tco', and saying they can operate their software (ongoing)
    for less than you could. Because their service model leads to them
    having an ongoing revenue stream, they don't need to churn their
    codebase.

    Linux companies doen't seem to be doing quite so well -- give it away,
    sell service works better when the service skills are in low supply,
    so that you can charge lots of money for them. As such, they end up
    needing to customize their OSs heavily, or adding non-free sw on top
    of them.

    Adam