[fw-wiz] WPA Pre-Shared Key TKIP vs AES

From: Servie Platon (servie_tech_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 12/15/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:13:33 -0800 (PST)

    Hi security gurus and FW experts alike,

    I am just curious, which WPA algorithm is better? TKIP
    or AES?

    There is an article below that says WPA is better than
    WEP for a number of reasons.

    http://www.openxtra.co.uk/articles/wpa-vs-wep.htm

    Now I am in the process of changing WEP in our
    office's WRT54G router which is intended to hookup
    some laptop and notebook PCs for mobile office users.

    But my problem is I have no idea which one is better
    TKIP or AES? And secondly, does WPA shared key mean
    that I have to create a passphrase (i.e. diceware
    list) to generate encryption? Will this be harder to
    break as opposed to WEP which is easier?

    We could not select WPA RADIUS or RADIUS because we
    are but a small company and no RADIUS server in place.

    Also,
    http://www.tech-faq.com/wireless-networks/wpa-wi-fi-protected-access.shtml
    gives some info on WPA in general. How do I enable
    security enhancements in WPA as indicated in the URL
    above?

    Any thoughts and insights on how to secure our
    company's WLAN through WPA would be highly
    appreciated.

    TIA,

    Sincerely,
    Servie

    • Re: iOS 7.1 and WiFi problems?
      ... There are routers that allow for an access control list so ... I can now PROVE that the problem is related to AES encryption. ... AUTO (WPA or WPA2) - TKIP ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)
    • Re: iOS 7.1 and WiFi problems?
      ... Seems very strange that an iPad does not support WPA2 ???? ... I can now PROVE that the problem is related to AES encryption. ... AUTO (WPA or WPA2) - TKIP ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)
    • Re: WPA-AES = WPA2 ?
      ... router properties and see what is has the connection listed as. ... it says wpa tkip even if I set it in Windows to be AES. ... TKIP and WPA2 AES.> ...
      (alt.internet.wireless)
    • RE: radius+ wireless
      ... >and the keys change automatically. ... WPA using TKIP works with Mac OS 10.3. ... I have not tested AES. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] WPA Pre-Shared Key TKIP vs AES
      ... Comparing TKIP and AES is similar to comparing apples ... One is a key mgt protocol (okay -- it is now ... TKIP is a key management ... WPA mode by APs to support legacy WPA/TKIP clients. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)