Re: [fw-wiz] Defense in Depth to the Desktop

From: Chris Pugrud (cpugrud_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 12/14/04

    To: Frederick M Avolio <fred@avolio.com>, "Paul D. Robertson" <paul@compuwar.net>
    Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:40:17 -0800 (PST)

    Fred,

    Thank you, I really enjoyed your write up as well. There is a lack of
    perspective history in the industry, maybe it comes from people coming up too
    quickly in it, or people being constantly inundated with the same old cycle of
    s**t. It's probably been 8 or 9 years since I've read Bellovin's book. I
    bought the second edition, but have yet to find the time to read it.

    I probably quoted "eggshell" both because I knew it was not fully correct and
    emphasize that I think that things have gotten worse, not better. It used to
    be that I had to hand roll firewalls for customers and they would complain
    about the minimal costs. Now they throw gobs of money at perimeter security
    and buzzword compliance but I can't get them to pay attention to making a
    reasonable attempt at locking down their internal systems.

    My latest quixotic quest is for bringing some of that well built perimeter
    protection hardware into the internal networks, so that the security of the
    internal organization is not solely reliant on application and operating system
    security controls. We need all of the above until we can find a reasonable way
    to define "allow good" and we can go back to a default deny policy.

    Chris