Re: [fw-wiz] How to Save The World

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr_at_ranum.com)
Date: 12/13/04

    To: Jian Zhen <jlz@zhen.org>
    Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:57:26 -0500

    Jian Zhen wrote:
    >How bout garbage like those things that let you run a full demo of your
    >product w/o leaving your seat?

    Yeah! _EXACTLY_ that kind of garbage. That kind of garbage is for
    people who don't understand a sales cycle. You think it impresses
    a customer to see a demo via Webex or whatever? That kind of
    stuff only "convinces" a customer who's already convinced (one way
    or another) and serves as a check-box item under the "yes I saw
    a demo" box. I've been on the sales side of a lot of software, and
    my experience tells me that for anything that's non-trivial, the thing
    that sells the product is hands-on time where the customer does a
    pilot deployment and sees that it does the job. Getting to a pilot
    deployment is a job for powerpoint and a whiteboard talk, not
    some faceless jerky mouse-movements and a disembodied voice
    over the Internet. For small packages at lower prices, where you
    can't justify a sales call, then it's much much more cost effective
    to invest your sales development effort into making a highly
    demoable version of the product that can be fielded without
    messing with the customer's machine.

    If you don't know how to sell software effectively, don't blame your
    tools: fix your sales process.

    Maybe I'm being a crackpot as usual; maybe I'll get shouted down
    by hundreds of list members emailing me, "yeah, I buy stuff from
    web demos all the time!" - but I doubt it.

    >or garbage that let you do Q&A or polling
    >directly in the web cast?

    Uh, "voice" technology does a great job of that and it's
    actually a lot more interactive and has the human touch.
    If someone was trying to sell me a piece of software
    and wanted me to do some kind of online polling
    webcast stuff, I'd laugh my b*lls off and - uh-oh, I
    just accidentally got "disconnected" call me back when
    you have a real sales force.

    > or garbage that let you share an application
    >from your desktop and even let the customer drive it to get a feel of
    >the product?

    Yeah, that kind of garbage! Exactly. The way to let a customer
    drive your product is to, uuuuuh, let them drive your product.
    As in: "Dear customer, our product has:
            - low desktop footprint; you can run our U/I off a CDROM so it
            is tamper-proof and doesn't need to be on your hard disk if you
            don't want it to be (or it's browserable - and works only with MS-IE)
            - secure channels built in so you can run it over untrusted networks
            - and, hey, we have a complete lab environment hosted on a
            remote network so if you want to test drive we can give you an
            account and you can play to your heart's content..."

    None of this stuff is rocket science. What I am hearing is the sound of
    an industry that is so in love with its silly garbage gadgets that it has
    forgotten that the key to a successful sales cycle is the human touch
    that convinces the customer that you're a) solving their problem,
    b) there, c) care.

    >While I agree that it sucks most of these web sharing applications only
    >run on Windows/IE, these applications do help companies save thousands
    >of dollars. Imagine having to fly to a customer site everytime you need
    >to do a demo.

    Dude, I have flown to more customer sites and done more demos
    than you probably want to think about. And I've got the plane-seat scars
    to prove it. And, you know what? Sending a presales engineer who knows
    the product, knows the customer, and can talk to them face to face -
    it wins the sale every time. Unless there's some other mitigating factor
    that meant you were going to lose no matter what. In which case
    your sales team didn't qualify the lead properly.

    The garbage you're talking about helps companies save thousands
    and thousands of dollars by turning their sales cycle into a shotgun
    blast of sales-spam in which, instead of working on having 100 good
    customers, they try 5000 candidate customers and achieve sales
    with the 75 most stupid and easily impressed of the lot. But you're
    right they save themselves thousands of dollars. And the customers
    know that's what's going on. And they know that a company that
    wants their business so badly is also a company what is going
    to outsource their help desk to the lowest bidder, etc.

    I've been on the sales side, and I've been on the customer side;
    clearly I've got biasses. My guess is that in a few years when
    all the hype wears off some "sales visionary" is going to
    re-invent "face to face selling" ;)

    >Btw, I don't think Sun Tzu said your quote up there. :)

    I am _so_ busted. :)

    Actually, that was a paraphrase from the Gangsta Rap
    translation version of have of Sun Tzu's "lost scrolls" that
    were found a few years ago, in a deeply buried stash
    in my buddy Andrew Molitor's sock drawer. It was an
    archeological find of great significance. :)

    mjr.

    • Re: Republicans have stolen all the money from poor and middle class folks -- and now, WalMa
      ... that eventually the rich run out of poor people's money. ... which is in the midst of a sales slump during which it has ... The core of the problem rests with Wal-Mart?s customer base? ... shop at his stores even for essentials until their next government ...
      (alt.politics)
    • Republicans have stolen all the money from poor and middle class folks -- and now, WalMart i
      ... that eventually the rich run out of poor people's money. ... which is in the midst of a sales slump during which it has ... The core of the problem rests with Wal-Mart?s customer base? ...
      (alt.politics)
    • Re: Republicans have stolen all the money from poor and middle class folks -- and now, WalMa
      ... that eventually the rich run out of poor people's money. ... which is in the midst of a sales slump during which it has ... class and poor Americans. ... time to leave its impoverished American customer behind in the quest ...
      (alt.politics)
    • Re: Can I use an old license on a new computer?
      ... I haven't done a lot of computer shopping in a couple years, but I don't recall it ever being suggested in either advertising or face to face interaction with a sales person that I purchase a Gateway because they provide a true oem installation cd with their computer. ... I would think that it would be to gateway's distinct marketing and sales advantage to tout such an important customer satisfaction consideration and to advertise such to anyone that would be within eyesight or earshot. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] How to Save The World
      ... >You mean garbage like those things that let you automatically flip ... >powerpoints for a remote user to present a talk? ... the customer desires to see the stuff before they will ... Crispin. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)