Re: Archives (was Re: [fw-wiz] Re: Book of rants)

From: Paul D. Robertson (paul_at_compuwar.net)
Date: 12/13/04

    To: Jason Lewis <jlewis@packetnexus.com>
    Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:01:52 -0500 (EST)

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Jason Lewis wrote:

    > I decided to grab the archives and see if there was an easy way to get
    > the top FAQs. This is not scientific and my methods are probably
    > questionable.

    Note that the gzipped files aren't complete, but the Web archives are- I
    never got the time to try to figure out a good fix when we moved the list
    from NFR, and since the Web section was complete, I figured it wasn't all
    that important (so you'd probably actually have to crawl the archives to
    get a complete set.)

    > I took the archives, stripped out the subject lines, tried to normalize
    > replies to the same thread and counted matches. I just printed the
    > ranked list. The results may not even be right....YMMV.
    >
    > http://www.packetnexus.com/topsubjects
    >
    > You might wonder why I did this. I don't know either. I might need a
    > new hobby.

    Hmmmm, there are possibilities here...

    Paul