Re: [fw-wiz] How to Save The World

From: Devdas Bhagat (devdas_at_dvb.homelinux.org)
Date: 12/13/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:33:51 +0530

    On 12/12/04 17:27 -0800, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
    >
    > >Crispin Cowan drank the Kool-ade and wrote:
    > >

    > >>The problem is that the bulk of sites that don't work are the most "corporate" ones: web casts.
    > >>

    > >You mean garbage like those things that let you automatically flip
    > >powerpoints for a remote user to present a talk? Garbage that has
    > >become popular because sales reps and marketing weenies are
    > >apparently too stupid to tell their meeting attendees, "next slide,
    > >please..." as they pause to collect their thoughts? Yeah, we need
    > >that garbage in order to do business. Not.
    > >

    > While that is one use for it, no that is not what I mean. If it was just
    > "next slide please", then I agree that it would not be worth the bother.
    >
    > But it is much more than that. Those webcast thingies can bitscrape
    > anything off the desktop screen. Thus I can demo an interactive GUI onto
    > a remote customer prospect's desktop to show them what our stuff looks
    > like, without them having to install anything.

    You mean, like an X server, or even VNC?
    <snip>
    > My rant is not that we should just shrug and let 'em not switch. It is
    > that there is a legitimate hole in the Linux desktop space, this is it,
    > and some of these webcast service providers should step up and fill the
    > hole. How the hell else am I supposed to market a Linux server product
    > to customers using a Windows desktop unless the webcast product works
    > cross-platform? Raindance? WebEX? Are you listening? This is your market
    > calling :)

    VNC works in a browser as well. Hook up to the same VNC server and you
    can share a session. IIRC, there is an IE and Netscape applet VNC client
    as well.

    Devdas Bhagat

    • Re: Doubt : ASP.NET problem
      ... Yes, there are differences betwen servers and operating systems, but that is ... Communication is the process of providing and receiving meaningful ... meaning of the term "Garbage in, Garbage out," which I didn't invent. ... My husband had to re-configure our Server operating ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols)
    • Re: Doubt : ASP.NET problem
      ... Yes, there are differences betwen servers and operating systems, but that is ... Communication is the process of providing and receiving meaningful ... meaning of the term "Garbage in, Garbage out," which I didn't invent. ... My husband had to re-configure our Server operating ...
    • MsExchangeDS error
      ... Server A is the bridgehead, server b 2nd server in site. ... garbage collected parent has LIVE object! ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • MsExchangeDS error
      ... Server A is the bridgehead, server b 2nd server in site. ... garbage collected parent has LIVE object! ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: FTP logs in Server 2003 are full of garbage
      ... Bernard Cheah ... >I have logging turned on on the server for all events in IIS. ... When an unauthorized user tries ... The garbage appears as blocks in notepad. ...