Re: [fw-wiz] Iptables /Router

From: Paul D. Robertson (paul_at_compuwar.net)
Date: 12/12/04

    To: Marek Pawinski <pawinski@webstorm.co.za>
    Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:47:30 -0500 (EST)

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Marek Pawinski wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I previously had a network with one Mandrake box A as a internet gateway
    > (ISDN) using internet connection sharing to some desktops B.
    >
    > I now have a ADSL modem/router connected to the Mandrake box A and the
    > router does the NAT and packet filtering.
    >
    > I now notice that the internet connection seems to bypass box A and does
    > not go through shorewall at all.
    >
    > grc.com shows that my IP is that of the router been scanned.
    >
    > So my question is how can i set this up so shorewall on box A as well as
    > the router protect the network ?

    Plug the firewall into the router on one interface and the internal
    network on another, renumber appropriately and add the approrpriate routes
    and proxy arp if necessary (or just PAT/NAT again.)

    Paul

    • Re: Unable to obtain a server- assigned IP address Try again later or enter an IP address in Net
      ... I can go to Control Panel - Network and Internet Connections - ... If yours is not a subset of your router, ... I have a LINKSYS router (4 port connection) - I have my cable modem ...
      (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
    • Re: Boot-up question on SBS2K3
      ... > The router separates you from the Internet. ... > network. ... >>>> 2 Nics, broadband cable modem connected into the external NIC, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: Small network with lots of features, questions
      ... Your network sounds overly complicated to me. ... to get to the internet. ... To do that, without using your server as a router, you need ...
    • Re: Need help closing security holes in my Windows XP home system!
      ... >>new portals of access to internet hackers, ... My router came with a default MAC address printed on the bottom. ... > your unique hardware as in your segment of the network - no other device ... > Apply ALL MS Office Updates ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Open access point for clients
      ... Boss wants clients to have access to internet ... If you knew enough to get the network setup like it is already then you ought to know how to do this. ... If you can't get a second ip then connect one router to your isp and then connect wan ports of two additional routers to lan side of ISP connected router. ...
      (alt.internet.wireless)