Re: [fw-wiz] Lists of IP's we should be blocking

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin_at_immunix.com)
Date: 12/12/04

    To: Bruce Smith <bruce_the_loon@worldonline.co.za>
    Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:22:06 -0800

    Bruce Smith wrote:

    >Is there a list of dangerous, evil IP's that should be blocked or at least
    >watched closely at the borders of the Internet? Address like virus targets,
    >root-kit sources and so forth.
    >
    >And what is the group's opinion on the idea of a general purpose dark IP
    >list?

    I think the idea is good only for brushing off ankle-biter threats. The
    problem is that serious attackers can acquire new IPs at will through a
    substantial pool of zombie nodes on consumer broadband networks, and so
    deliberate attacks that come at you will almost certainly *not* be on
    anyone's dark IP list.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/