RE: [fw-wiz] Security of HTTPS

From: Ben Nagy (ben_at_iagu.net)
Date: 11/29/04

    To: "'Frank Knobbe'" <frank@knobbe.us>, "'Ng Pheng Siong'" <ngps@netmemetic.com>
    Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:04:14 +0100

    If you're using client certs then you should be using one of the
    Diffie-Hellman cipher suites, shouldn't you? DH is not vulnerable to this
    type of passive interception attack, and couldn't be attacked in this
    way[1]. Certificate protected DH is still vulnerable to an active MitM if
    someone has a copy of the server's private key.

    However, the huge bulk of connections use the RSA cipher specs which _are_
    vulneranble to the attack you describe. Looking at it in this light, I am
    trying to work out why the implementors chose this construction (sending the
    PMS simply encrypted with the server cert) instead of "one side signed"
    Diffie Hellman, like IPSec-IKE, which would have obviated the passive
    sniffing attack. Does anyone know?

    Cheers,

    ben

    [1] eg, http://www.hack.gr/users/dij/crypto/overview/diffie.html