Re: [fw-wiz] Load Balancing

From: Mark Tinberg (mtinberg_at_securepipe.com)
Date: 11/18/04

    To: Nathaniel Hall <halln@otc.edu>
    Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:17:23 -0600 (CST)

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Nathaniel Hall wrote:

    > LDAP request goes to 172.16.0.63
    > Request is routed to interface on same network and destination address is
    > correctly changed to a random system to be load balanced.
    > Once there is an answer for LDAP, the answer goes directly to the requesting
    > machine, not the firewall that routed it.

    I'm sure there are many ways to fix this, by in my pre-coffee state I can
    think of two.

    1) NAT the traffic on the FW so that responses are sure to go to the right
        place.

    2) Set the LDAP cluster with limited routing table, a /29 for example, so
        the traffic has to route through the firewall to get back to the rest
        of your network.

    Q: Why do you have source, dest and firewall on same segment?
    Q: Maybe dns round robin would be better for load balancing

    --
    Mark Tinberg <MTinberg@securepipe.com>
    Network Administrator, SecurePipe Inc.

    • Re: Setting up internet gateway - need some help
      ... >> I'm trying to setup internet gateway with mail server and firewall for 15 ... > The remote host or network may be down. ... Please try the request again. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Load Balancing
      ... I am working on creating a firewall to do load balancing between two or ... I am using Fedora Core 2 as my firewall with two ... LDAP request goes to 172.16.0.63/24 on eth1 ... Request is routed to interface on same network and destination ...
      (RedHat)
    • [fw-wiz] Load Balancing
      ... I am working on creating a firewall to do load balancing between two or ... I am using Fedora Core 2 as my firewall with two ... LDAP request goes to 172.16.0.63 ... Request is routed to interface on same network and destination address ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Need Help with Squirrelmail
      ... Is your server behind a NAT firewall... ... If so, the request for ... for requests that originate from the internal network, ...
      (Fedora)
    • RE: LDAP & Find People not working
      ... need to refer to the KB article below to know how to use LDAP: ... | Yes, the scanner is on the local area network, so as you indicated below, ... | So I wonder why the scanner does not see the LDAP server. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)