Re: [fw-wiz] Ethics & hiring

From: Bennett Todd (bet_at_rahul.net)
Date: 11/18/04

    To: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr <gwen@reptiles.org>
    Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:53:44 +0000

    2004-11-17T18:38:29 Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr:
    > [...] antivirus company [...] called a halt to its partnership
    > with SecurePoint because of that firm's decision to hire the young
    > man who allegedly created Sasser.

    Without taking up an opinion on the broader questions here, I think
    this particular news item might be a weak one from which to draw
    broad conclusions.

    Anti-virus companies are in a very, very awkward position. Their
    business is profitable solely because of the widespread problems
    with viruses; if it weren't for all the malware authors, they'd be
    out of business. They make their money on viruses. Furthermore, one
    important factor in gaining market share is the most prompt possible
    signature updates; customers like to receive the sigs for a new
    virus before they get hit by the virus.

    This is a precarious position to be in; a quick glance suggests the
    way to be a really great A/V vendor is to write viruses, update your
    sigs, then distribute the viruses.

    Conflict-of-interest issues arise when talking about anti-virus
    companies -vs- virus authors that are completely separate from any
    moral qualms people may have about hiring such malware perps.

    -Bennett

    • The Truth About AIDS. Biological Warfare at is finest
      ... AIDS was created in a test tube and released into the population. ... Contrary to widespread speculations that human AIDS viruses arose from ... National Cancer Institute researchers noted that "only one virus ... virus RNA, associated with leukemia and sarcoma development, and ...
      (rec.org.mensa)
    • KRiLE and Zvi Netiv... for old times sake
      ... the Virus Defence Bureau (formerly ... it 'Finds and repairs ALL viruses known and unknown.' ... 'At the point of installation Invircible ... File infectors given free rein ...
      (alt.comp.anti-virus)
    • Re: WHO: Swine Flu Could Trigger Global Pandemic
      ... all worked up over the right of humans to temporarily camp in The ... Its a natural process, viruses are able ... sense of what a virus is and how it works. ... host as it is replicating, and transfer this genetic information to a ...
      (alt.gathering.rainbow)
    • Re: I switched to Firefox because--Solved
      ... Mac OS 9 and earlier had some virus problem, but none so far for Mac OS ... Earlier Mac viruses do not impact Mac OS X. ... > was AutoStart 9805, the first known Macintosh worm, which originated in Asia ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: GAH! Pandemic fears excuse for power grab!
      ... INFLUENZA PANDEMICS AND OUTBREAK OF H5N1 VIRUS IN HONG KONG IN 1997 ... Origin of Pandemic Viruses That Emerged in the 20th Century ... Four human influenza pandemics have occurred in this century. ... involve genes encoding HA (high cleavability due to multiple basic amino ...
      (rec.martial-arts)