[fw-wiz] Can't ping firewall

From: Paul D. Robertson (paul_at_compuwar.net)
Date: 11/13/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:14:17 -0500 (EST)

    I came across this in the last few days, and figured it's worth sharing.

    One of my clients has a SonicWall firewall. They were working on a
    WindowsXP laptop, and could ping internal hosts, but not the firewall
    (which has since been upgraded, so I'm not sure if the same problem exists
    in the current codebase.)

    It turns out the SonicWall was ignoring the ARP requests from the laptop.
    A couple of minutes with a sniffer, and I'd found that the culprit was
    extra data in the ARP request packets. The extra data was 802.1p
    information, and turning off 802.1p in the driver on the laptop
    immediately fixed the issue.

    I think it's _good_ that firewalls are picky about layer 2 data, but
    figured it'd be good to have in the archives should someone not be able to
    ping their firewall and not have a sniffer handy.

    Paul

    • Re: Kids bypassing firewall via web proxy sites
      ... We use a Sonicwall firewall, 3060, I subscribe to content fltering, ... and I checked "Access to HTTP Proxy Servers" But I am still able to ... SP1, and see if that will do the trick. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Sonicwall firewall blocking isakamp of competing products VPN client?
      ... > We are using SSH's Sentinel VPN client, ... > home where she has a consumer grade firewall. ... > I looked at the traffic that arrives at the gateway when a VPN is ... > tries to establish a VPN from behind the SonicWall firewall! ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Sonicwall firewall blocking isakamp of competing products VPN client?
      ... Lots of our users can connect to our Astaro VPN gateway ... home where she has a consumer grade firewall. ... that there is absolutely no traffic arriving at the gateway when she ... tries to establish a VPN from behind the SonicWall firewall! ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: multiple windows opening
      ... When you install OneCare, it will automatically ... I have had windows live one care from the first setup of this laptop. ... I open it, it shows that the firewall is on, the virus thing is ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: New Printer problem--Help please!
      ... I was able to successfully turn off all firewalls on the laptop, and I believe I also was successful with turning off all firewalls, virus protection, etc on the desktop. ... I have re-set up the network using the home network wizard. ... Following the suggestion I found elsewhere, I set up the network "wrong" (chose incorrect connection method), then set it up again "right". ... the presence of the Symantec VPN driver raises the possibility that the laptop has a Symantec firewall installed. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)