Re[2]: [fw-wiz] Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Paul D. Robertson (paul_at_compuwar.net)
Date: 11/13/04

    To: gmx <carpathin.wolf@gmx.net>
    Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:08:17 -0500 (EST)

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, gmx wrote:

    > Hello ArkanoiD,
    >
    > i think, dividing the world into 'good' and 'bad' is an american
    > model... what is good ? What is bad ? Is good what conforms to our law
    > or justice ?If yes, it is good when morders are freed because of
    > missed proves ?

    I disagree, the lines of good and bad pervade human history for long
    periods before the USA existed.

    As for the American justice system, while I can't fully defend it, the
    principle that it's better that some bad people go free than any innocent
    ones don't get jailed is a good principle. Like any system, the practical
    reality is that it doesn't work every time.

    > Is it good or bad if an 'hacker' breaks into a secret project, and
    > gets information eg. about HI-Virus, that its not natural, its a weapon
    > ? Is that really 'bad' ? To say the truth

    Yes it's bad. Two wrongs do not make a right. Many people make excuses
    for their poor behavior (My parents were divorced! People were mean to me
    in school! They're too stupid to own computers!) That doesn't excuse
    their behavior one bit- you either behave well, or misbehave. Society
    either tolerates that, or doesn't. Once again, the point of the original
    thread was about people profiting from their misdeeds from those who are
    supposed to protect folks from the same sort of misdeeds.

    We've heard from all "sides," and I've resisted some of the more
    philosophical debates because this really isn't the right place for all of
    the detailed corner case stuff. I think it's healthy that we've discussed
    the issue, but at this point we're just into the "nobody on this side is
    going to convince anyone on that side of anything" stage, so I'm going to
    close the thread. Sorry about the posts that didn't make it through, I'll
    send individual notes back as i get through them.

    Paul

    • Re: The GIMME state
      ... a criminal to death. ... Funny how every thread Paul is involved in always seems to devolve ... but interjecting Bush into this thread smacks of desperation. ... see real justice done. ...
      (alt.smokers.cigars)
    • Re: UKSF XI. Match on.
      ... >> I will, Paul. ... I will try to do it justice. ... This is setting a high bar ... >> for future endeavours. ...
      (uk.sport.football)
    • Re: Fuckwit the stalker revisited
      ... Well, well, isn't Paul the consumate liar! ... Perhaps he would do justice ... to this group if he posted all of our exchanges. ...
      (alt.smokers.cigars)