RE: [fw-wiz] "INFOSec Education Research Question"...

From: Melson, Paul (PMelson_at_sequoianet.com)
Date: 11/08/04

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:04:39 -0500

    -----Original Message-----
    > RQ:
    > "What do BH Hackers, WH Hackers, GH Hackers have to offer
    interdisciplinary
    > INFOSec education?"

    That sounds like something a television reporter might ask, hoping to
    sound intelligent.

    RRQ: What can you hope to learn from individuals who lack affiliation
    beyond ascribed, ambiguous groupings that fail to describe a skill set,
    knowledge base, or any specific characteristic beyond, "good," "bad," or
    "other?"

    To put it another way, archetypes are typically irrelevant and useless
    outside of storytelling.

    I would gather from your e-mail that this question is being asked inside
    of an academic discourse in criminal justice. So I would think that
    you're better off asking two different questions:

    1. What motivates criminal hackers / system crackers? ...infosec
    practitioners and researchers (aka 'professionals' so you can answer
    this one easily :-)? ...everyone else connected to the infosec
    landscape?

    2. What specific skills and activities are representative of each of the
    aforementioned groups?

    PaulM