RE: [fw-wiz] Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Jim Seymour (jseymour_at_linxnet.com)
Date: 11/07/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Sun,  7 Nov 2004 11:10:43 -0500 (EST)

    "Bill Royds" <broyds@rogers.com> wrote:

    > One of the problems that giving such publicity to so many criminal
    > "ex-hackers" is that it makes it much more difficult for honest
    > security practitioners to do our job.
    [snip]

    In more ways that one, I should expect. For example: Where's the
    down-side in engaging in such criminal behaviour? I execute a few (?)
    high-profile cracks, become known as an Evil Genius, get arrested
    (maybe not in that order), go to prison for a couple years or so, get
    out, have a ready-made lucrative career in public speaking or security
    consulting?

    Speaking of security consulting: What kind of customer would hire a
    security consulting firm that knowingly employed (ex-)criminals?

    I understand the attraction of employing such people. What I don't
    understand is the "thinking" behind actually doing so. I suspect it
    has nothing whatsoever to do with improving a security company's
    capabilities.

    Jim

    • Re: [Full-disclosure] iDEFENSE VCP Challenge and botnet technologies
      ... LD_PRELOAD mis-use and VCP ... Possible reasons include the retirement of GOBBLES Security, ... Anonymous sources agree that this ... whitehats' wifes) arguing "they are publicity stunts". ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Tory aims and values
      ... 'Mr Cameron told the BBC's Nick Robinson: "We don't have a Clause 4, ... Party will fight for free and fair trade ... It's all publicity, obviously, and gives him an opportunity to say ... about ' Tories will be hard-nosed defenders of freedom and security', ...
      (uk.politics.misc)
    • Re: I note that no one is mentioning Jim Bates this morning!
      ... "Whether or not a D-Notice has been issued is not clear. ... newspaper editor printing a story if they want to do so. ... Security Service, SIS and GCHQ, and those involved with them, ... Publicity about ...
      (uk.legal)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Remote Mercury32 Imap exploit
      ... People who research and either publish or fix security issues in other ... keeping vendors completely unaccountable. ... Responsible disclosure is just a view, and so is full disclosure and ... best off marginalizing security disclosure and associated publicity - we ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Hackers Expose Critical Wi-Fi Driver Flaw
      ... Major security exploits are normally not released ... expand this into the inevitable demise of all things wireless. ... the publicity received by Ellch and Maynor. ...
      (alt.internet.wireless)