RE: [fw-wiz] Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Jim Seymour (
Date: 11/07/04

    Date: Sun,  7 Nov 2004 11:10:43 -0500 (EST)

    "Bill Royds" <> wrote:
    > One of the problems that giving such publicity to so many criminal
    > "ex-hackers" is that it makes it much more difficult for honest
    > security practitioners to do our job.

    In more ways that one, I should expect. For example: Where's the
    down-side in engaging in such criminal behaviour? I execute a few (?)
    high-profile cracks, become known as an Evil Genius, get arrested
    (maybe not in that order), go to prison for a couple years or so, get
    out, have a ready-made lucrative career in public speaking or security

    Speaking of security consulting: What kind of customer would hire a
    security consulting firm that knowingly employed (ex-)criminals?

    I understand the attraction of employing such people. What I don't
    understand is the "thinking" behind actually doing so. I suspect it
    has nothing whatsoever to do with improving a security company's

    firewall-wizards mailing list

    • Re: [Full-disclosure] iDEFENSE VCP Challenge and botnet technologies
      ... LD_PRELOAD mis-use and VCP ... Possible reasons include the retirement of GOBBLES Security, ... Anonymous sources agree that this ... whitehats' wifes) arguing "they are publicity stunts". ...
    • Re: Tory aims and values
      ... 'Mr Cameron told the BBC's Nick Robinson: "We don't have a Clause 4, ... Party will fight for free and fair trade ... It's all publicity, obviously, and gives him an opportunity to say ... about ' Tories will be hard-nosed defenders of freedom and security', ...
    • Re: I note that no one is mentioning Jim Bates this morning!
      ... "Whether or not a D-Notice has been issued is not clear. ... newspaper editor printing a story if they want to do so. ... Security Service, SIS and GCHQ, and those involved with them, ... Publicity about ...
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Remote Mercury32 Imap exploit
      ... People who research and either publish or fix security issues in other ... keeping vendors completely unaccountable. ... Responsible disclosure is just a view, and so is full disclosure and ... best off marginalizing security disclosure and associated publicity - we ...
    • Re: Hackers Expose Critical Wi-Fi Driver Flaw
      ... Major security exploits are normally not released ... expand this into the inevitable demise of all things wireless. ... the publicity received by Ellch and Maynor. ...