RE: [fw-wiz] Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Bill Royds (broyds_at_rogers.com)
Date: 11/06/04

    Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:45:56 -0500

     One of the problems that giving such publicity to so many criminal "ex-hackers"
    is that it makes it much more difficult for honest security practitioners to do
    our job. I have never hacked into anything other than under the watchful eye of
    the system owner observing the possible flaws in his/her system while I
    explained what a buffer overflow is, why default configurations are unsafe etc.
    But the very fact that I had this ability made me suspect in some people's eyes.
    Their attitude becomes "You know how computer systems work so you must have
    learned that by criminal hacking like all those hackers in the news". This is
    despite a university degree in computer science and 30 years worth of experience
    in computers. The presence of convicted criminals in the "computer security"
    field means all members of that field are labelled "hackers" in the pejorative
    sense, making it much harder to do our job.