Re: [fw-wiz] NIGERIAN EMAIL SCAM

From: Kevin Sheldrake (kev_at_electriccat.co.uk)
Date: 11/01/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 13:40:20 -0000

    If your email address has appeared on a website, in a mailing list or
    anywhere else with public access then expect to be harvested for spam use.

    Additionally, spammers will generate plausible email addresses at known
    domains by simply multiplying a list of firstnames with a list of
    surnames. They don't care how many emails get bounced to the faked source
    address.

    Emailing spammers is a bad idea as it proves that the email address is
    being monitored. Expect 100 times the volume of spam now.

    There are also lots of other ways.

    If you want to stop it, I suggest you run spamassassin (spamassassin.org)
    or another tool over your email to weed out the spam. Spamassassin will
    run on a *nix box easily or can be configured to work on Win32 with a
    suitable POP3 (or other) proxy.

    Kev

    Kevin Sheldrake MEng MIEE CEng CISSP
    Electric Cat (Cheltenham) Ltd