Re: [fw-wiz] Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Paul Foster (Paul.Foster_at_dmtsystems.net)
Date: 10/29/04

    To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 03:14:41 +1000

    Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

    > But you want to know who's really the idiot? The idiot
    > is the person who plunks down good money for Mitnick's
    > book, or pays a jacked-up conference attendance fee so
    > some ex-con can stand there and say, "you are SO STUPID
    > I can fool you ANY TIME" That's not just stupid - that's
    > "double stupid" And then there's "triple stupid" which is
    > trying to defend and justify the double stupids. :)

    You made many excellent points! I fear that i'm an idiot though as I
    bought his book! :)

    My self-deception is that a refresher is always good, especially as I
    find us practitioners sometimes fall into patterns of thinking. Using
    firewall logs as an example, many practitioners fall into the habit of
    only reviewing what has been dropped/rejected. While this is useful,
    it's more important to know what is actually getting through! :)

    We occasionally need reminding of such things, and as Mitnick is a SME
    in social engineering whats the problem with him being the refresher?

    -PF aka idiot :)