Re: [fw-wiz] Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Paul Foster (Paul.Foster_at_dmtsystems.net)
Date: 10/29/04

    To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 03:14:41 +1000

    Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

    > But you want to know who's really the idiot? The idiot
    > is the person who plunks down good money for Mitnick's
    > book, or pays a jacked-up conference attendance fee so
    > some ex-con can stand there and say, "you are SO STUPID
    > I can fool you ANY TIME" That's not just stupid - that's
    > "double stupid" And then there's "triple stupid" which is
    > trying to defend and justify the double stupids. :)

    You made many excellent points! I fear that i'm an idiot though as I
    bought his book! :)

    My self-deception is that a refresher is always good, especially as I
    find us practitioners sometimes fall into patterns of thinking. Using
    firewall logs as an example, many practitioners fall into the habit of
    only reviewing what has been dropped/rejected. While this is useful,
    it's more important to know what is actually getting through! :)

    We occasionally need reminding of such things, and as Mitnick is a SME
    in social engineering whats the problem with him being the refresher?

    -PF aka idiot :)

    • Re: The incredible stupidity of on-line "chat policy"
      ... Only the most insecure idiot goes crying to support when someone needles ... Anyone wanting to play poker for MONEY badly enough to get money into a site is convinced they're a good player. ... And yes there is trash talk at high levels of poker between the pros. ... I have some sympathy for the point of view that anyone can mute someone else's chat, but I understand that the poker sites don't want to drive away business. ...
      (rec.gambling.poker)
    • Re: OT - Thank you suckers
      ... Why are you investing your own money privately? ... partial privatization of Social Security plan? ... How myopic can the idiot Left possibly be? ... Saving for retirement is a long-term process. ...
      (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)
    • Re: ADR/Roubiniss lies and Swiss accounts
      ... care, it is agnostic. ... You are an idiot and you don't stop from showing it again and again! ... in which you state the provenance of this money and the destination. ... have no clue of laws in Greece and in the EU. ...
      (soc.culture.greek)
    • Re: ADR/Roubiniss lies and Swiss accounts
      ... care, it is agnostic. ... You are an idiot and you don't stop from showing it again and again! ... in which you state the provenance of this money and the destination. ... have no clue of laws in Greece and in the EU. ...
      (soc.culture.greek)
    • Re: ADR/Roubiniss lies and Swiss accounts
      ... You are an idiot and you don't stop from showing it again and again! ... in which you state the provenance of this money and the destination. ... This declaration is submitted by the bank to the authority for money ... have no clue of laws in Greece and in the EU. ...
      (soc.culture.greek)