[fw-wiz] Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Paul D. Robertson (paul_at_compuwar.net)
Date: 10/28/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:58:48 -0400 (EDT)

    This year's CSI conference features the self-advancing "Catch me if you
    can" guy, Frank Abagnale as a keynote speaker.

    Because of this, one of my co-workers, Bill Murray, has withdrawn from
    speaking, as has Howard Schmidt with the "people who commit felonies
    shouldn't profit from the results of their nefarious deeds, let
    alone be sponsored by the security industry" train of thought[1].

    Bill's done the same before with a different organization advancing Kevin
    Mitnick in the past. Personally, I think it's fantastic that there are
    still people in this world who are willing to take the moral high ground,
    and hold it.

    There's an interesting blurry line between doing things for good, and
    doing things that may be good or bad. Hence I've mixed emotions about
    people putting together tools that really tend to have more value to the
    masses of bad guys than they do to the good guys. We know tunneling is
    bad, we know it's an issue, and we don't need more tunnels to prove it-
    let alone ones that are script-kiddie enabled to go through the
    perimeter. Maybe there's a grouping of "definitely good people,
    definitely bad people and sorta mixed in the middle" that I keep in my
    mind- certainly, I try to associate with "definitely good people." Maybe
    it's time I hung up a "Please don't feed the script kiddies" sign?

    Anyway, I just figured I'd hop up on the soapbox and tip my hat to Bill
    Murray and Howard Schmidt. Keeping your moral compass pointing in the
    right direction is a good thing. We're an industry built on trust and
    ethics, and even if you don't particularly agree with someone's morality,
    it's not a bad thing to respect that they'll hold their ethics- it's easy
    to be ethical when nothing's on the line, the test is when you stand to
    lose something.

    Mostly, I just wanted to publicly voice my support for
    these gentlemen's actions, which to me speak much louder than words.

    Paul

    • RE: [fw-wiz] Ethics, morality and the industry
      ... > still people in this world who are willing to take the moral high ground, ... Hence I've mixed emotions about ... We know tunneling is ... > Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] Ethics, morality and the industry
      ... still people in this world who are willing to take the moral high ground, ... Hence I've mixed emotions about ... We know tunneling is ... Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Argogroup being wound up
      ... around 3 years offered by Paul could be: ... headache and some with an immediate, disastrous, loss. ... but also on intangibles such as "Customer ... Bill ZFC ...
      (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
    • Re: Guns:
      ... Unlike, hmm Blinky Bill ... But the world and his dog posts nonsense to Usenet under silly made-up ... You have no way of knowing if Paul Adam exists or if I am Paul Adam. ...
      (sci.military.naval)
    • Re: New improved facts part 2v031
      ... >> The following is an updated scenario of the Bill and Paul in space suits ... Both Bill and Paul have monochromatic light sources ... >> They know they are stationary relative to the surrounding star field by ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)