Re: [fw-wiz] About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: Jim Seymour (jseymour_at_linxnet.com)
Date: 09/16/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:25:33 -0400 (EDT)

    David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Mister Coffee wrote:

    [snip]

    > > Range on ISDN is fairly impressive. I know the range is measured in at
    > > least 10's of miles, rather than DSL's 18K/feet (more or less, depending
    > > on carrier, speed, etc.)
    >
    > IDSL will go ~30k ft, it's what I have to use at home, at $90/month :-(

    [snip]

    > ISDN is a different story, it is available just about anywhere that normal
    > phone service is available, but useually comes with per-min useage fees
    [snip]

    ISDN has a max. of 18,000 feet, un-repeated. With a mid-span
    repeater: Theoretically 36,000 feet, but TelCo's are sometimes (?)
    unwilling to provision a circuit more than roughly 30,000 feet, as the
    cable runs, from the CO.

    IDSL is simply DSL-over-ISDN. The two ISDN B channels (64k each) and
    the D channel (16k) are bonded to create a single 144k IDSL circuit.

    I don't know whether it's a limitation of IDSL, or risk aversion on the
    part of DSL CLECs or their resellers, but you'll rarely get an IDSL
    circuit installed more than 30,000 (cable) feet from the CO.

    My neighborhood was Project Pronto'd a couple years ago or more. My
    IDSL circuit runs over LightSpan (fiber) from the CO to a DLC (digital
    line card) in an SEV (underground sealed environmental vault) for most
    of the 25,000 feet between me and the CO, and the last 8,000 feet or so
    is copper.

    Jim