RE: [fw-wiz] PIX-515 acceptable CPU usage?

From: Ahmed, Balal (balal.ahmed_at_capgemini.com)
Date: 09/16/04

    To: "Adam Greene" <maillist@webjogger.net>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:03:37 +0100

    Some time ago cisco Documentation used to say that if your PIX firewall is
    running at 30% sustained utilization then an upgrade is advised. The latest
    version of this document [1] no longer includes a baseline figure. I suppose
    the reason for this is that each deployment is different.

    I suggest you go back to first principles and monitor your pix to generate a
    baseline for yourself e.g.

    1) SNMP CPU graphing (using something like mrtg to monitor CPU levels)
    2) Monitor/graph latency through the firewall
    3) On the pix you could also monitor the memory blocks available (show
    blocks) this tells you if there is RAM available for processing [1]

    Having good historical data to hand will help detect and plan upgrade points
    better than manually logging on and checking stats sporadically. As we all
    know a good set of graphs can help sell the idea to budget controllers.

    HtH

    [1]

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/110/pixperformance.html#intro

    • Re: Win XP Pro Fax Doesnt Track Anything
      ... In november 2003 I installed the Norton Firewall 2004 and Norton Antivirus ... Monitor does not appear when you receive a fax call. ... If you see a NIS alert message for a file that is in the Microsoft Fax ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
    • Re: Kindly help me with this PIX problem
      ... If you have read the configuration that I posted, ... firewall configuration didn't change over many years and it did work ... PIX, our company cannot send or receive email. ... That command allows ssh to the PIX, ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Firewall for laptops, corporation with 1,000 laptops
      ... I disagree completely that all you need is a PIX to protect your network, ... PIX does nothing to protect you from VPN ... alerting, which are essential to a firewall solution, are lacking.] ... the PIX firewall does nothing to protect a roaming laptop from ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Cisco PIX fixup protocol command
      ... The PIX is a stateful firewall and maintains state on ... The reason why a security evaluation might result in a recommendation to ... is no need to have the SMTP fixup enabled. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall
      ... Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall ... will drive the price to the point where the PIX is more cost effective. ... on a router ACL unless you're using the CSPM, ...
      (Security-Basics)