RE: [fw-wiz] Wired article on the scientific method

From: hermit921 (
Date: 09/08/04

    Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:39:26 -0700

    Several decades ago in my first general statistics class, the prof
    challenged us to find an article from a reputable scientific journal that
    did not have a statistical error. I don't think we ever did.

    At 06:16 AM 9/2/2004, Melson, Paul wrote:
    >Fascinating article. But in light of this thread, I ran across this
    >line on the second page and had to laugh:
    >"A recent study of work published in Nature and British Medical Journal,
    >for example, found that 11 percent of papers had serious statistical

    firewall-wizards mailing list

    • Re: What is faith?
      ... we cannot learn about His laws of nature. ... Herman Rubin, Department of Statistics, Purdue University ...
    • Re: Trying to understand Bayes and Hypothesis
      ... as people do not realize how common it is nature. ... distribution as it will not be encountered in practice hasn't helped any. ... of the integrating factor, the optimal solution is Bayesian, again ... are those of the Statistics Department or of Purdue University. ...
    • Re: Cosmologist in Lederhosen Spouts Nonsense!
      ... an ice pick, ... statistical in nature. ... it will violate all other laws of nature ... statistics are manipulatory capitalistic inventions, ...
    • Re: Aether is the empty space in which the Universe sits
      ... >> of this force moderator, ... > yields the solutions & basic nature we call quatum mechanics. ... Nature is completely indifferent to human geometry and statistics! ...