Re: [fw-wiz] About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: Chuck Vose (vosechu_at_roman-fleuve.com)
Date: 09/07/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:53:40 -0700

    > There is no God-given, natural law or Constitutional right to Internet
    > access. What there is are for-profit companies (mostly) that provide
    > various levels of Internet access, for a fee, under contractual
    > agreement.

    > Btw: *Most* DSL and cable broadband providers do have SOHO/business
    > packages that allow the running of services and give one static IP
    > addresses. Many areas of the country have alternate (usually DSL)
    > broadband providers that can supply business-class connectivity. Of
    > course: These options all come at a price.

    There are even other things that DSL that can also work nicely for remote
    areas. Satelite is the farthest reaching but usually has terrible upload.
    ISDN can get rates up to 1.544 Mbps and is very far reaching if I recall
    correctly.

    I agree with Jim, no company is obligated to provide you anything not
    implicitly stated, especially if it causes the company loss of revenue or
    general hassle.

    There are very few ISP monopolies, China is one of the few that managed it.
    There is almost always another way provided you're willing to do the research
    or lay 100baseT4 lines yourself.

    Why not just find a nice colocation or free server? Beigetower.org is still
    one of my favorites and it's free, full shell and everything.

    Good Luck, apologies for jumping into the middle of a conversation,
    Chuck Vose