Re: [fw-wiz] Linux Firewall Distributions

firewalladmin_at_bellsouth.net
Date: 09/02/04

    To: Skander Ben Mansour <firewall-wizards@benmansour.net>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:13:02 -0400

    I have used a Linux GUI firewall called Firestarter. It works okay, is very simple and sets up in no time. It's not an industrial strength, application level firewall but is a simple packet filter with basic logging. For home or SOHO use you can't get any easier. I have also heard good things about Smoothwall, but never used it myself.

    Mark

    From: Skander Ben Mansour <firewall-wizards@benmansour.net>
    Date: 2004/09/02 Thu AM 10:55:38 EDT
    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Subject: [fw-wiz] Linux Firewall Distributions

    Hi Firewall-Wizards,

    Does anyone have experience with Linux based Firewall/Router distributions ?

    I am looking for a cost-effective firewall capable of handling three
    security domains (Internal Network, the Internet, and a DMZ) for a SOHO.

    A hardened linux box running NetFilter/IPtables with three network cards
    looks like a good fit.
    However, I would also welcome suggestions regarding low-budget hardware
    firewalls meeting these requirements.

    I believe that the now defunct Linux Router Project
    (http://www.linuxrouter.org/) has left some successors:

    http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.smoothwall.org/
    http://www.devil-linux.org/

    Please let me know if you have used one of these linux firewall
    distributions and what your experience was (installation, configuration,
    maintenance).

    Thanks!

    Best Regards,

    Skander Ben Mansour

    ---
    http://www.benmansour.net/

    • Re: [fw-wiz] Linux Firewall Distributions
      ... > Hi Firewall-Wizards, ... > Does anyone have experience with Linux based Firewall/Router distributions? ... Openssl, OpenVPN, traffic shaping, shorewall, snort, among others. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Linux Firewall Distributions
      ... > Hi Firewall-Wizards, ... > Does anyone have experience with Linux based Firewall/Router distributions? ... > security domains (Internal Network, the Internet, and a DMZ) for a SOHO. ... Astaro Security Linux ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] Linux Firewall Distributions
      ... > Hi Firewall-Wizards, ... > Does anyone have experience with Linux based Firewall/Router ... > A hardened linux box running NetFilter/IPtables with three network ... I think they're targetting true micro-devices the ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)