RE: [fw-wiz] Linux Firewall Distributions

From: Daniel Chemko (dchemko_at_smgtec.com)
Date: 09/02/04

    To: "Skander Ben Mansour" <firewall-wizards@benmansour.net>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:53:56 -0700

    Skander Ben Mansour wrote:
    > Hi Firewall-Wizards,
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with Linux based Firewall/Router
    > distributions ?
    >
    > I am looking for a cost-effective firewall capable of handling three
    > security domains (Internal Network, the Internet, and a DMZ) for a
    > SOHO.
    >
    > A hardened linux box running NetFilter/IPtables with three network
    > cards looks like a good fit.
    > However, I would also welcome suggestions regarding low-budget
    > hardware firewalls meeting these requirements.

    > http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
    Looking at the distro, I think they're targetting true micro-devices the
    'uC' in some projects there means targeting CPU's without MMU's

    > http://www.smoothwall.org/
    Seems to be a decent distro. They tend to make more stable, somewhat
    obsolete releases. It might not have the bells ans whistles at least in
    the free edition.

    > http://www.devil-linux.org/
    This just uses fwbuilder(www.fwbuilder.org)

    There is also Shorewall which man people seem to enjoy.

    Outside that, there aren't many serious projects out to fulfill the GUI
    compoennt of netfilter. If your doing some complex networking, it might
    be a good idea that you got yourself a little dirty into the iptables
    command and actually learn what the networking sub-systems are doing. It
    makes troubleshooting a vastly simpler.