[fw-wiz] Linux Firewall Distributions

From: Skander Ben Mansour (firewall-wizards_at_benmansour.net)
Date: 09/02/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:55:38 +0200

    Hi Firewall-Wizards,

    Does anyone have experience with Linux based Firewall/Router distributions ?

    I am looking for a cost-effective firewall capable of handling three
    security domains (Internal Network, the Internet, and a DMZ) for a SOHO.

    A hardened linux box running NetFilter/IPtables with three network cards
    looks like a good fit.
    However, I would also welcome suggestions regarding low-budget hardware
    firewalls meeting these requirements.

    I believe that the now defunct Linux Router Project
    (http://www.linuxrouter.org/) has left some successors:

    http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.smoothwall.org/
    http://www.devil-linux.org/

    Please let me know if you have used one of these linux firewall
    distributions and what your experience was (installation, configuration,
    maintenance).

    Thanks!

    Best Regards,

    Skander Ben Mansour

    ---
    http://www.benmansour.net/

    • Re: Linux or BSD alternative to Windows Home Server
      ... My questions were about Gentoo vs. Linux for a sever, ... I will probably eventually have a dedicated firewall ... if you were to have a file server which is accessible ... I'm aware that I could probably create scripts to regularly backup ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
      ... as opposed to in Windows. ... this is not a software firewall as in Windows. ... firewalling code in GNU/Linux is actually part of the Linux kernel ... Kubuntu, Xubuntu et al, the first user account created at installation ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: [opensuse] installing openSUSE on an older pc
      ... it seems Linux in general is going the way of M$, when you come to linux forums ... I picked them up as junk-ware from the Salvation Army thrift store for less than a meal for the family at McD's would cost. ... WYSISYG, and a large, capable desktop manager is going to need more memory. ... My firewall, mail-hub, file-server: all headless. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: OT - Desktop Linux
      ... I've got both windows and linux boxes. ... But are there any desktop operating systems out there which enjoy a dis- ... software firewall, have a good and up to date ...
      (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)
    • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
      ... For example, there are some differences in the way distributions handle updates, configuration, root access, etc. - bbgruff is probably used to other distributions and was a little inaccurate about the way sudo is used in Ubuntu and Mint. ... It's probably easier for you to understand if I translate things roughly into windows terms. ... They are not entirely equivalent - MS didn't get things quite right when they copied user access from Linux for use in NT, or when they copied sudo as "user account control" in Vista. ... I don't normally configure a firewall on desktop or laptop Linux machines, and only do so on servers if they are internet-accessible. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)