RE: [fw-wiz] VPN endpoints

MHawkins_at_TULLIB.COM
Date: 08/30/04

    To: devdas@dvb.homelinux.org, firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:20:50 -0400

    "I don't know of any insurance company that has formulae to estimate such
    risks."

    Actually, most large insurance underwriters have various techniques for
    measuring risk. Some risk is measured by statistical methods, eg: out of X
    number of homes, Y will burn down in N time duration at total payout of D
    dollars.

    Other risks are more difficult to measure and are therefore assessed using
    arbitrary ratings methods.

    The events that are more difficult to measure are almost always those that
    are exceedingly rare. For example, thousands of skydivers make hundreds of
    thousands of jumps every year and yet only 20 or less people die skydiving
    (thus, on life insurance policies they don't ask you how many times you
    intend to jump each but rather, yes no, do you jump?).

    Applying the same techniques to information security risk measurement has,
    in my experience, led to some very interesting results. For example, I
    contend that 90% of the money spent on information security is wasted on
    comparitively low risk areas.

    I came to this conclusion by, for example, applying the possible "cost" of
    having an average company website hacked vs. the "cost" of having a
    disgruntled employee steal valuable information or damage business systems.
    The likelihood of the former is far lower than the latter. And the "cost" of
    the former is -usually- less than cost of the latter and yet so much money
    is spend on IDS, -super- firewalls, etc etc. But the most cost and most
    likely event is a disgruntled employee damaging systems or stealing valuable
    information.

    Go figure.

    Mike Hawkins