Re: [fw-wiz] About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: Jim Seymour (jseymour_at_linxnet.com)
Date: 08/30/04

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:29:51 -0400 (EDT)

    Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com> wrote:

    [snip]

    > How did we get from {ISP blocks inbound connects to port 80} to
    > {customer is not allowed to run any servers}? I don't see that as
    > a logical conclusion.
    [snip]

    An assumption, admittedly. However, I've yet to see a case of an ISP
    blocking standard services (e.g.: HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, FTP, etc.) on
    anything other than broadband connections where the TOS prohibits the
    running of services or as a temporary emergency measure when a client
    is being [D]DoS'd.

    Jim