Re: [fw-wiz] About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: Jeremiah Cornelius (jeremiah_at_nur.net)
Date: 08/29/04

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:49:38 -0700

    > [snip]
    >>
    >> Due to the limitation of my cable ISP, which blocks
    >> ports 80 I could not make my personal website
    >> available. The workaround is to ...
    > [snip]
    >>

    > ...a group of people dedicated to the establishment and enforcement
    > of network security and policies for help in violating his ISP's Terms
    > Of Service.

    His "Terms of Service" are a minor contract, and may well have been
    unilaterally ammended by the ISP after he became a customer. This has
    happened in hundreds of reported incidents - especially with cable
    operators, who understand a television broadcast model.

    I don't think there is much of an ethical dilimma in helping this fellow
    out, as long as he is aware that he is risking his service.

    If, in his locale, he can't get an equivalent ISP without such an onerous
    restriction, then his ISP is likely an illegal monopoly. They block the
    ability to serve port 80? They are out of RFC compliance in providing
    Internet services. You probably can't get an uneducated court to agree -
    but I'd claim that what they are providing doesn't meet the definition of
    "Big-I" Internet, and are guilty of contratual bad-faith and
    misrepresentation.

    • Re: My ISP closed some ports need help!
      ... then you need to get a different ISP. ... you will find you are *not allowed* to run server class software. ... They enforce this by inhibiting specific ports to flow ... To get access to server class ports, you need Server Class service agreement from the ISP. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: My ISP closed some ports need help!
      ... >> then you need to get a different ISP. ... They enforce this by inhibiting specific ports to flow ... >eg mapping your server ports into other numbers, ... or to provide network or host services to others via ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: ISP port filtering
      ... ISP is in the wrong here? ... talkinggoat wrote: ... your new car, you would have to pay 20% more. ... these ports, it's the dealer that removes them. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: [?] DYNDNS host vulnerability
      ... Wolfgang Draxinger wrote: ... certain ports getting into their address space. ... Then get a better ISP. ... RIAA, MPAA, etc. to block P2P traffic, tell him, that protocols ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: [?] DYNDNS host vulnerability
      ... the Internet, all ports on that IP will only affect you. ... P2P) in what they offered as "Flatrate" access. ... There was also another ISP here, that was unhappy, how many ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)